Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Notes for Installing Zimbra 7.1.3 on Ubuntu Server 10.04.3 LTS

LHammonds is offline Special Member

Keep in mind that this is documentation for an older version of Zimbra. At this time, my documentation for Zimbra 7.2.0 is the most recent.

When Zimbra 8 OSE comes out (hopefully on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), I will make a new mail server and create a similar document. We are still not live with Zimbra yet which is why I would be doing another start-to-finish document. We just could not roll out a new email server at the same time that we were rolling out a new electronic medical records, billing and scheduling system. I should have some free time to start back on the Zimbra migration in the later part of August. Hopefully, Zimbra 8 for OSE will be available by then.

For the new documentation, I will be dividing up the partitions even more for better flexibility and security. You can see my progress on documenting an Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS on my site. Much of it will translate over to a Zimbra installation.

LHammonds
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

blason is offline Elite Member

Hi,

I must admit this is an awesome tutorial which gives complete glimpse of Installation. Nice work..keep it up

However just curious to know if there is any other way available with Open Source edition to sync the Tasks with Android or iPhone ?

Quote Originally Posted by blason View Post
    just curious to know if there is any other way available with Open Source edition to sync the Tasks with Android or iPhone ?
    I think you need a separate iPhone app to access Zimbra extras such as Tasks and Briefcase items.

The built-in Safari web browser can be used to access the web version.
    eTask ($5.99) can sync Zimbra tasks through CalDAV.
    Aderium ($4.99) is a Zimbra client which can access Tasks and Briefcase items.

LHammonds
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

bmunger is offline Senior Member

Hello,

I've connected the ipods of my kids to the Zimbra Calendar. I've defined a new email/cal account in the ipod and used "other" as the service and plugged it to the Zimbra server. It works.

You have to create a separate account for Calendar, Tasks and Email separately. It's more config on the ipod, but it works.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunger View Post
    You have to create a separate account for Calendar, Tasks and Email separately. It's more config on the ipod, but it works.
    How exactly do you setup a "Tasks / Reminders" account? In the "other" option when setting up accounts, I only see email, calendar and contacts. Nothing for Tasks.
    Last edited by LHammonds; 08-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.

bmunger is offline Senior Member

Hello,

You may be right, I did not check on my kids ipods... it may not be able to get tasks.

But the calendar does wonders for me. I ask them to put their activities on the Zimbra Calendar and then I can make a schdule... it is especially important for us since we have 4 kids and we then can avoid conflicts of schedule and taxi them on time to their various activities

I also setup sharing of the calendars amongst familly members so that they can "reserve" things like the scooter, etc. They can then share items and avoid conflicts of schedule.

My wife and I can also share our schdule and take "ownership" of a taxi ride and I can easily schdule my business trips and have my wife know (and, more importantly, remember, my business trips...

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by bmunger View Post
    You may be right, I did not check on my kids ipods... it may not be able to get tasks.
    Ah, Ok. I thought you had figured out something extra that I was not aware. As for setting up an iPhone, I have those steps covered in detail at the bottom of post #8. And yes, you can share your calendar or create accounts for specific calendars and add them all to your iphone calendar. For example, you can create a "scooter" account and add the scooter calendar to everyone's iphone. Even though the iphone can display all calendars neatly together in a single view, you would have to be careful about which calendar you add an event.

LHammonds

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Ah, Ok. I thought you had figured out something extra that I was not aware. As for setting up an iPhone, I have those steps covered in detail at the bottom of post #8. And yes, you can share your calendar or create accounts for specific calendars and add them all to your iphone calendar. For example, you can create a "scooter" account and add the scooter calendar to everyone's iphone. Even though the iphone can display all calendars neatly together in a single view, you would have to be careful about which calendar you add an event.

LHammonds
    Major addition in your post is GAL in IPxx.

ccelis.

Wasowski is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Keep in mind that this is documentation for an older version of Zimbra. At this time, my documentation for Zimbra 7.2.0 is the most recent.

When Zimbra 8 OSE comes out (hopefully on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), I will make a new mail server and create a similar document.
    LHammonds
    Thank you for this thread and the other ones!

thedoctor46 is offline Active Member

Default Thanks

We just had our zimbra version 5 migrated to version 7 and we used your backup procedure and all went as planned... moved from old server to new server then migrated from old version to new version...

thanks
    Mark..
    ANTICIPATION does not get you to win
    It is how you react to the SITUATION

Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.RHEL5_64_20120410001942 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information