Thread: Zimbra server for home use?

kell is offline New Member

Default Zimbra server for home use?

-Admins, can you please move this topic under "Zimbra Collaboration Suite- > Installation" ? I just realized I made a mistake.

Hi

I am interested in Zimbra for home use. My main reason is that I do not want to put my stuff on the cloud and yet get the some of the exchange and collaboration functionality in a very small environment. I probably will have 2 users and couple devices.

I am wondering what would be the easiest way for me to go ahead about. I do not need email since I have email stuff from paid hosting. So what I am interested in is self hosted calendar and address book type of things.

I have never setup something like an exchange server before and I am no sys admin but I am familiar with Debian and Windows.

What would be the easiest path for me to take? I am also hoping that I will be able to use the Zimbra server without email hosting since I am on a residential plan I doubt that I can host my email.

On the otherhand if there are hosted trusted Zimbra servers I would like to hear about it too. I also hope that the Zimbra servers are truly compatible with WebOs(They feature exchange sync ) devices.

thanks

lytledd is offline Elite Member

I am wondering what would be the easiest way for me to go ahead about. I do not need email since I have email stuff from paid hosting. So what I am interested in is self hosted calendar and address book type of things.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to find a hosted service. Zimbra OSE, out of the box, does not support syncing calendar/contacts with smart phones.

There are add-ons available, such as Z-Push and Funambol that would allow it, but require an additional machine (Or virtual machine if you're using Virtualization).

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    The easiest thing for you to do would be to find a hosted service. Zimbra OSE, out of the box, does not support syncing calendar/contacts with smart phones.

There are add-ons available, such as Z-Push and Funambol that would allow it, but require an additional machine (Or virtual machine if you're using Virtualization).

Doug
    Hi

My mobile devices have exchange support(Webos). So that is what I am planning to use with.

The main problem I see with the hosted solution is that they are going to be expensive for me. The cheapest I have found is like $9 a month per inbox, so for 2 people it will be $250 a year. This wont be a business use mostly, so I cannot justify such option unless I find a really good deal. And I already am paying for web hosting an email. Not sure how to go ahead about this.

I also use super cheap monthly data play ($5 for 10 mb), so I do not want to rely on any kind of web interface to do email, shared calendar, tasks etc that is why Exchange like solutions sounds good to me.

My mobile devices have exchange support(Webos). So that is what I am planning to use with.

There is no Exchange support in the OSE version without Add-ons.

I'm running OSE under Virtualbox, I have another VM running Z-Push that handles my mail and calendar for my Droid, I have a 3rd VM running Funambol that supports my 1 user that requires Outlook.

It all does work, but you may not have the infrastructure to be able to do this. My ISP also restricts ports, so I had to be creative on that front.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    There is no Exchange support in the OSE version without Add-ons.

I'm running OSE under Virtualbox, I have another VM running Z-Push that handles my mail and calendar for my Droid, I have a 3rd VM running Funambol that supports my 1 user that requires Outlook.

It all does work, but you may not have the infrastructure to be able to do this. My ISP also restricts ports, so I had to be creative on that front.

Doug
    Hi

Thanks for the heads up. How about the free version of Zimbra? Would that work?

I see what you are saying about the complications of such work arounds. I wish I had the technical knowledge to get this thing work.

Thanks for the heads up. How about the free version of Zimbra? Would that work?

OSE stand for Open Source Edition (a.k.a Free version).

The only version that comes with ActiveSync support would be the pay for version of Zimbra.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

Thread Information