Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mail server name? Does it matter?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bmarkovic View Post
    No offence intended mate,
    No offence taken but I'm not your "mate". This is a public forum and I'm quite willing to take comments and criticism about what I've posted but I usually find that a post started with the words "No offence intended" invariably mean the opposite.

.... but I'm pretty sure that what OP got from your answer is that he MUST name his server .......
    The question he asked was "should" he do it and my answer was perfectly clear and it was yes, and by implication he should do it. There was also no mention of me saying he "MUST" do it as far as I can see.

......something that is not a sub-domain of any of his domains, which would then be incorrect.
    I don't really understand the point you're making here. He should name the server with a Fully Qualified Domain Name, that FQDN doesn't have to bear any relationship to the domain that's being hosted on the Zimbra server, as you've already pointed out, and the FQDN is not a sub-domain
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bmarkovic is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No offence taken but I'm not your "mate".
    "Mate" was supposed to "lubricate" communication. It quite obviously failed at that miserably..

This is a public forum and I'm quite willing to take comments and criticism about what I've posted but I usually find that a post started with the words "No offence intended" invariably mean the opposite.
    But my posts quite obviously did not mean the opposite, right? My intent was to provide benefit to the OP, clear things up, not to "put you in your place" or anything remotely like that.

The question he asked was "should" he do it and my answer was perfectly clear and it was yes, and by implication he should do it. There was also no mention of me saying he "MUST" do it as far as I can see.
    I'm just going by my feel of the post. If I'm wrong I stand corrected. You might be right in the strictest syntactic sense, but I'm not all that sure the message could've come across when worded like that.

I don't really understand the point you're making here. He should name the server with a Fully Qualified Domain Name, that FQDN doesn't have to bear any relationship to the domain that's being hosted on the Zimbra server, as you've already pointed out, and the FQDN is not a sub-domain
    Aaah hair splitting semantics, forum drama favourite course. Look, a Fully Qualified Domain Name is a syntax for describing an nth-level domain, where n>1. If n=2, it's quite often colloquially called a "domain", if n=3 it's quite often colloquially called a "subdomain". YMMV but this is what functions with tons of various-level IT people in my experience. Much more people get that than "FQDN". And even at RFC level of hair splitting, you are right if what you mean is that it is not implied that it has to be a zone, but a domain it is. Even a single host is a domain, and if no further clarification was given it is assumed that it's a subdomain to a 2nd level domain.

LHammonds is offline Special Member

You guys crack me up. I opened this thread hoping to get a little bit of info since I'll probably have this same question soon...and instead of a simple answer, I got the benefit of a well-debated answer. The likes of which helped me understand it far better than a one-liner reply.

Thanks...it is very-much appreciated.
    LHammonds
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information