Thread: Just installed but can't access Zimbra

jim.thornton is offline Loyal Member

Default Just installed but can't access Zimbra

Any help here would be appreciated. I just installed everything and it is not accessible by IP address on my LAN.

I spoke to my cousin and he said that I have to wipe everything out, install DNS and then re-install Zimbra. This seems a little drastic to me. Is it not possible for someone to setup DNS AFTER the installation of Zimbra?

He says no because Zimbra will automatically pick up the DNS settings. However, that didn't make sense to me because I figured if you were to the server to a different IP address then DNS would have to change anyway.

At this point he might just be telling me to wipeout the installation because there would be less steps involved than *fixing* Zimbra.

Any thoughts?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you're behind a NAT router then you need a Split DNS set-up with correct A & MX records plus a correct /etc/hosts file - full details in the article. Unless you're comfortable using the command line tools in Zimbra then the quickest (and easiest) thing to do would be to remove zimbra using "./install.sh -u" then reinstall and set the correct domain name when you're asked during the install. The removal of Zimbra will get rid of everything in the /opt/zimbra directory including any email, have you been receiving email to this server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Okay, could you please tell me if this setup is correct:

Domain name registered with enom. Name servers set to point to my VPS that I have remotely. This VPS has been running for some time and has a control panel installed (DirectAdmin). On this VPS, DNS is working fine.

I've setup my local machine running Zimbra. My intention is to start hosting my mail on my local server. So here is what I've done so far:

I've setup the domain name within the DirectAdmin VPS and from there I deleted the default mail.mydomain.com subdomain (A record). I then created a new "mail" A record and pointed it to my local server via a static IP.

On my local server, am I needing to setup a slave server or a master server for DNS? In addition, which records should I create? Currently my DirectAdmin control panel is controlling all of the DNS for that domain so I didn't see a need to change that.

I'm thinking that I only need a slave server. However if this is the case, do I still need an A record since that is already on the VPS? Or, do I need a TXT record or an MX record because those are also on the VPS.

I would appreciate any help thanks.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jim.thornton View Post
    Domain name registered with enom. Name servers set to point to my VPS that I have remotely. This VPS has been running for some time and has a control panel installed (DirectAdmin). On this VPS, DNS is working fine.
    This is the first time you've mentioned a VPS (it's also not a supported platform), the problem with this configuration is that you may not get Zimbra working because of the Control Panel. That configuration usually causes problems for Zimbra and unfortunately I know nothing about running Zimbra in that environment.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

VPS = DirectAdmin

Local machine = Zimbra

Zimbra is not on the VPS it is on my local machine. The domain name's DNS is pointing to my VPS which in turn will point to my local machine (for the mail record).

I know it will work because my cousin had it up and running once already. I need to know about the DNS, that's it.

Thread Information