Thread: No route to host

mhammett is offline Special Member

Default No route to host

I started with a version 6 Open source install. I have since upgraded to 7.1.1 hoping that would make it better.

I am using a split-view DNS and all 7 boxes I have can ping each other both with just the hostname and the FQDN. The domain I'm using is currently live on the Internet and will eventually be transitioned to this mail system. I am attempting to get it setup and tested before moving live DNS entries to this system.

All 7 servers (2x ldap, 2x mailbox, 2x mta, and 1x proxy) have private IPs in the 10.1.8.x range, while the proxy and mtas have public IPs on another interface. I do have a hosts file established with the FQDNs.

When I login to the mailbox1, I get the following error:

Server Error encountered
    Message: error while proxying request to target server: No route to host
    Error code: service.PROXY_ERROR Method: [Unknown]
    Details:soap:Receiver

Any ideas?

Here's a bit from mailbox.log

Code:
    2011-08-13 23:33:09,667 INFO  [btpool0-72://mailbox1.ics-il.net:7071/service/admin/soap/GetServiceStatusRequest] [name=admin@ics-il.net;mid=1;ip=10.1.1.20;ua=ZimbraWebClient - SAF3 (Win);] SoapEngine - hand$
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: error while proxying request to target server: No route to host
    ExceptionId:btpool0-72://mailbox1.ics-il.net:7071/service/admin/soap/GetServiceStatusRequest:1313292789666:6bd8bc1e010e704f
    Code:service.PROXY_ERROR Arg:(url, STR, "https://mailbox2.ics-il.net:7071/service/admin/soap/GetServiceStatusRequest")
            at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.PROXY_ERROR(ServiceException.java:308)
            at com.zimbra.soap.ProxyTarget.execute(ProxyTarget.java:135)
            at com.zimbra.soap.DocumentHandler.proxyWithNotification(DocumentHandler.java:509)
            at com.zimbra.soap.DocumentHandler.proxyRequest(DocumentHandler.java:476)
            at com.zimbra.soap.DocumentHandler.proxyRequest(DocumentHandler.java:446)
            at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.GetServiceStatus.handle(GetServiceStatus.java:67)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:412)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:287)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:158)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.java:294)
            at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:215)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:208)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:814)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
            at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHeaderFilter.java:79)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)
            at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:132)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:218)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:422)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(DebugHandler.java:77)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:543)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:946)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:756)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:405)
            at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:410)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)
    Caused by: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:351)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:213)
            at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:200)
            at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
            at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)
            at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(SSLSocketImpl.java:559)
            at com.zimbra.common.net.CustomSSLSocket.connect(CustomSSLSocket.java:292)
            at com.zimbra.common.net.ProtocolSocketFactoryWrapper.createSocket(ProtocolSocketFactoryWrapper.java:46)
            at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:707)
            at org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager$HttpConnectionAdapter.open(MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java:1361)
            at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:387)
            at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:171)
            at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:397)
            at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:243)
            at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:164)
            at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport.java:397)
            at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invokeRaw(SoapTransport.java:371)
            at com.zimbra.soap.ProxyTarget.execute(ProxyTarget.java:131)
            ... 39 more

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    All 7 servers (2x ldap, 2x mailbox, 2x mta, and 1x proxy) have private IPs in the 10.1.8.x range, while the proxy and mtas have public IPs on another interface. I do have a hosts file established with the FQDNs.

When I login to the mailbox1, I get the following error:

Server Error encountered
    Message: error while proxying request to target server: No route to host
    Error code: service.PROXY_ERROR Method: [Unknown]
    Details:soap:Receiver

Any ideas?
    The highlighted error is probably caused by a firewall or DNS problem, you need to verify that everything is correctly set-up.

+dns +"No route to host" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mhammett is offline Special Member

All Zimbra servers can ping all other machine's hostname and FQDN.

There shouldn't be any firewalls running, but I'll check to see if IPTables is turned on for some reason.

Thread Information