Thread: network raid

Default network raid

I got an network raid I want to deliver my user emails to. The problem seems to lie in the permissions. I got the server to run fine as normal, but when I tried to change to volumes to the mounted network share it doesn't work. I get the following errors:

method: [unknown]
    msg: system failure: Unable to add sent message
    code: service.FAILURE
    detail: soap:Receiver
    trace: com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: Unable to add sent message ExceptionId:btpool0-6://mail.mcherald.com/service/soap/SendMsgRequest:1311376993079:5c07dd4774e05953 Code:service.FAILURE at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.FAILURE (ServiceException.java:248) at com.zimbra.cs.filter.OutgoingMessageHandler.explic itKeep(OutgoingMessageHandler.java:94) at com.zimbra.cs.filter.OutgoingMessageHandler.implic itKeep(OutgoingMessageHandler.java:117) at com.zimbra.cs.filter.ZimbraMailAdapter.doDefaultFi ling(ZimbraMailAdapter.java:332) at com.zimbra.cs.filter.RuleManager.applyRulesToOutgo ingMessage(RuleManager.java:448) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:516) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:425) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:385) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.SendMsg.doSendMessage(S endMsg.java:193) at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.SendMsg.handle(SendMsg. java:154) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:412) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:287) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:158) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.jav a:294) at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:215) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:725) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:208) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:814) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(Set HeaderFilter.java:79) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81) at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:422) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(Debu gHandler.java:77) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:543) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:946) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:756) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:405) at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:410) at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:451) Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /mnt/store/incoming/1311368376541-5.msg (Permission denied) at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:17 9) at java.io.FileOutputStream.(FileOutputStream.java:13 1) at com.zimbra.cs.store.BlobBuilder.init(BlobBuilder.j ava:100) at com.zimbra.cs.store.file.FileBlobStore.storeIncomi ng(FileBlobStore.java:84) at com.zimbra.cs.store.StoreManager.storeIncoming(Sto reManager.java:86) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4683) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4630) at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.addMessage(Mailbox.j ava:4567) at com.zimbra.cs.filter.OutgoingMessageHandler.explic itKeep(OutgoingMessageHandler.java:90) ... 43 more
    request:

Body: {
    SendMsgRequest: {
    _jsns: "urn:zimbraMail",
    m: {
    e: [
    0: {
    a: "admin@montereyherald.com",
    add: "0",
    t: "t"
    },
    1: {
    a: "admin@montereyherald.com",
    p: "Admin",
    t: "f"
    }
    ],
    idnt: "f5fd8603-546f-4ecf-bde6-45dc78ea86d5",
    irt: {
    _content: "<88d13d5d-f113-4633-b7de-56b552e3374e@mail.mcherald.com>"
    },
    mp: [
    0: {
    content: {
    _content: "

"
    },
    ct: "text/plain"
    }
    ],
    origid: "341",
    rt: "r",
    su: {
    _content: "Re: test"
    }
    },
    suid: 1311376850220
    }
    },
    Header: {
    context: {
    _jsns: "urn:zimbra",
    account: {
    _content: "admin@montereyherald.com",
    by: "name"
    },
    authToken: "(removed)",
    session: {
    _content: 128,
    id: 128
    },
    userAgent: {
    name: "ZimbraWebClient - FF3.0 (Mac)",
    version: "7.1.0_GA_3140"
    }
    }
    }

Any thoughts?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alevitt@montereyherald.com View Post
    I got an network raid I want to deliver my user emails to.
    I don't understand what you mean by that statement, what exactly are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by alevitt@montereyherald.com View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Did you search the forums for the error (it has been covered before)?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

To clarify, what I am trying to do is set up an external storage source for a linux mail server, which is using Zimbra. The the default destination volumes for the email messages as far as I can tell are /opt/index & /opt/store. So what I did was mount the network storage device at /mnt/ and set up the the new destination folders /mnt/index/ & /mnt/store/.

When I get make this destination change, I get the errors listed in my previous post. I don't seem to be able to change the ownership of these mounted destination folders to zimbra, and believe that is my problem.

I am wondering if there is another way to get the emails going to this network storage device. Might there be a way to change the necessity of the Zimbra server to only work with folders that are owned by a zimbra user?

Thanks for your feedback!

kruon is offline Loyal Member

On zimbra server, su zimbra
    then
    $ cd /mnt/index
    and
    $ touch test

Does it create file called test or give you permission denied? -> bad mount permissions on remote/local file system
    What permissions did the file get if it was created? nobody/nogroup? -> bad squash settings on mount parameters/export parameters

'test' was created and the permissions are as follows:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 5000 5008

Now that I think of it, my boss is the one who formatted the raid. He used windows XP, so the filesystem is likely NTFS.

I am fairly new to all of this, but should I even be able to do what I am trying to do? Linux Mail Server with NTFS network drive?

kruon is offline Loyal Member

.FileNotFoundException: /mnt/store/incoming/1311368376541-5.msg (Permission denied)
    What are permissions for /mnt/store/incoming if the exception is permission denied when trying to write file there?

Maybe you need to chown -R 5000:5008 /mnt/store and /mnt/index

Having the mail stores on NTFS volume isn't optimal.
    I wouldn't use it like that.
    It might work, but the performance might not be very good compared to other (native linux) filesystems.

WOW! That was pretty cool. I sent a message, it actually made it to /mnt/store/incoming, but the permissions were -rw-r----- 2 5000 5008. The email also crashed Zimbra where I had to manually stop and start it. The second attempt failed as well, but I didn't have to restart Zimbra.

I think it is clear what I have to do. Ensure the network drive is formatted in the 'proper' filesystem.

Thank you Kruon!!!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You really should not be using a Network mounted filesystem for Zimbra, it's not supported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You really should not be using a Network mounted filesystem for Zimbra, it's not supported.
    Bill,
    Thank you for the reference!

Thread Information