Thread: multi-server installation on ubuntu

butterfly1009 is offline Starter Member

Smile multi-server installation on ubuntu

Hi, guys.I'm a newbie. I have downloaded zcs-7.1.1_GA_3196.UBUNTU10_64.20110527011124 and followed the multi-sever install manual to install it

on ubuntu, but there are errors that it can not proceed. The OS is Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS. The first step , I installed zimbra_ldap on one server(for

example, named x), and followed the instructions the manual provided, and configured necessary fields such as LDAP Admin password, domain name.

But during this process, there is a MX not found error, I ignored it. I check the port 389 and it works well. The second step, I installed

zimbra-logger, zimbra-store, zimbra-spell, zimbra-apache. During this step, it needs the domain name and ldap admin password of the ldap server

installed in the first step, when I carefully entered them, it indicated "Not Verified", and it can't proceed. The network between these two

servers is well and I don't know what's the problem. I wonder whether this multi-server mode is supported on Ubuntu, if it is, could you help me

how to solve this problem.
    Thanks.
    Hong Luo

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

A multi-server isnatllation will work on all the Zimbra supported platforms. Follow the instructions in the Multi-Server Installation Guide and make sure you have valid DNS A & MX records plus a correct /etc/hosts file and there's no reason it won't work.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ekmeek is offline Active Member

Can all of the servers ping each other using the fqdn?

butterfly1009 is offline Starter Member

yes, on each server, I ping others with fqdn rather then IP and they work fine. If I want to install ldap-server on server xxx in a LAN, should xxx be taken as the mail-server? should I record the corresponding A&MX information in the gateway server?

ekmeek is offline Active Member

The mail store does not have to be installed on the ldap server. We have a multi-server setup, with 2 ldap's, 4 mail stores and 2 mta's, all separate.

I don't think having the MX configured is a requirement because when we performed our install, we were using a domain that was in use and the MX was pointing to the server it was on.

If you'd like you can private message or post the relevant parts of your /tmp/zmsetup.log and I'd be happy to take a look.

Thread Information