Thread: Best method for upgrading Zimbra and modify partitions

bhwong is offline Elite Member

Default Best method for upgrading Zimbra and modify partitions

We intend to upgrade our Zimbra from version 6 to 7, and at the same time, modify our partitions as we are running out of storage in our boot partition soon. We have 2 methods in mind. Which methods will you choose?

1. Upgrade Zimbra 6 in our current virtual machine, expand existing partitions and add additional partitions. Move varies Zimbra folders into other partitions.

2. Install Zimbra 7 in a new virtual machine with the intended partitions. Stop Zimbra 6 services and perform a full backup. Restore backup to Zimbra 7.

Potential issues with method 2: How do you deal with IP address and Zimbra licenses? Will the restoration works if the new VM is on difference IP address and hostname? Do you have any other better methods to share?

lytledd is offline Elite Member

1. Upgrade Zimbra 6 in our current virtual machine, expand existing partitions and add additional partitions. Move varies Zimbra folders into other partitions.
    I'd go with the above method. After the upgrade, I'd add an additional partition that I'd use for the new /opt directory. I'd shut down Zimbra, move the data over to the new /opt and remove the old one.

I'd probably use rsync to do the data move.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

bhwong is offline Elite Member

Hi Doug,

For method 1, do we need to amend any configuration file to point to the correct path since the new /opt is no longer on SDA1?

Is there any advantage to use rsync since the new /opt should be empty, thus, there is nothing to sync to reduce migrating time right?

lytledd is offline Elite Member

For method 1, do we need to amend any configuration file to point to the correct path since the new /opt is no longer on SDA1?
    I don't believe so, as long as the mount point /opt is the same as the original. My guess is that you'll change the old /opt mount point to something like /oldopt

Is there any advantage to use rsync since the new /opt should be empty, thus, there is nothing to sync to reduce migrating time right?

Since you'll be copying from the old /opt to the new /opt, I'm always concerned about hard links, and I know rsync handles them fine.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thread Information