Thread: Packages to Select During OS Install?

blackpuma is offline Intermediate Member

Default Packages to Select During OS Install?

I've run 32-bit Zimbra on CentOS (inside a VMware virtual machine) without problems I think since version 3. I've been very pleased with it. I thought that over the weekend I could replace and Exchange server with the latest Zimbra. I'm trying to create a new 64-bit e-mail server with the latest Zimbra but have been plagued with problems, so I'm starting from scratch (again) working through things step by step.

My notes laying out my steps and thinking are here.

My specific question:

I have found no guidelines whatsoever in any of the documentation or my googling what packages one should include during a RHEL operating system install.

According to my googling, I've assembled this list from people's recommendations.

Applications > Editors
    Development > Development Libraries
    Development > Development Tools
    Development > Legacy Software Development
    Base System > Administration Tools
    Base System > Base
    Base System > Legacy Software Support

Is this reasonable?

- - - - - - -

Yes, I know CentOS is not officially supported. The company has a budget of zero for replacing Exchange. (Yeah, I know….) As far as this question goes, there should be zero difference between RHEL and CentOS.

spectra is offline Special Member

Cent OS does work, it's similar to RHEL 5. So crab that file from the FOSS download.

Yeah, I know what you mean about choosing the packages with CentOS. That's why I chose Ubuntu Server 64 10 LTS

You see I didn't want to muck around via trial and error to round down packages. In ubuntu you simply select DNS and SSH server. That's my situation for running behind a NAT firewall/router so I need to do split-DNS. I also need the ssh server to ssh in and administer the box and do the zimbra install.

So, if you are like me, you only need DNS and ssh server, the bummer is how to round down the packages. I don't know specifically. I wish somebody would publish something.

Anyhow, at least if you have too much you can uninstall. I would go for server and ensure DNS and ssh server is there.

Oh, BTW, search for the override switch of some sort to fool zimbra into thinking CenOS is RHEL 5.

Go get 'em you got tiger blood, so says charlie sheen

I just find it surprising that there doesn't appear to be any list of required or recommended packages for installing on RHEL, specifically because RHEL is officially supported. If I bought an official true-blue copy of RHEL, I'd be in the exact same position: When installing RHEL, what packages do I select for install? Anybody?

(It's not a CentOS issue at all, since it's as close to being RHEL as one can get without RH suing.)

Yes, There's a single file to tweak to cause Zimbra to think it's RHEL. The --platform-override works well enough, and I don't have to go look up what the magic string is for the current release of RHEL.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by blackpuma View Post
    I just find it surprising that there doesn't appear to be any list of required or recommended packages for installing on RHEL, specifically because RHEL is officially supported. If I bought an official true-blue copy of RHEL, I'd be in the exact same position: When installing RHEL, what packages do I select for install? Anybody?
    Does the Quick Start Installation Guide not answer your question?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Does the Quick Start Installation Guide not answer your question?
    Not at all, unless I'm totally blind. (Which hey… I've done that before.)

The Quick Start Installation Guide lists additional required packages, but does not list the base set of packages. It only says, "the server must also have the following installed…."

In the RHEL (and CentOS) installer, you are presented with a choice of packages to install. Like I said before, I find it kind of surprising that if RHEL is a supported OS, that there is no mention (that I can find) in the Zimbra documentation of what constitutes either a minimal or a recommended install. It's not like this installer changes every week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

spectra is offline Special Member

I think this is one of those cases of detail. Phoenix, as a guru, know what packages is perhaps instinct for you.

I do see his point.

I think what he's referring to or the expectation is that he would want something definitive.

For example, There is an 8.04 Ubuntu LTS wiki document that explains the install process. That document states, when doing the install choose DNS, OpenSSH. During the install process it was known what to choose.

So, this is also why I ended up using Ubuntu, it had the best and most precise directives per this wiki for somebody who wanted to get zimbra up and running fast.

I want to run it on CentOS but I don't have time nor do I deem it wise to go thru the hours of trial and error removing packages and fighting dependencies to arrive at a guess subset to install zimbra. That to me is silly when so many in the forums have said they are running CentOS butnobody can share what base packages are to be installed. That just seems awefully weird to me. Do you agree. I recall you even run yours on CentOS, right ?

BlackPuma, I think your question is valid. Be patient and perhaps help will come. Sometimes that's life in the open source world.

Thread Information