Thread: Licensing Question

samgreco is offline Loyal Member

Default Licensing Question

I've emailed Sales, but have not gotten a response so I thought I'd ask here.

What constitutes a user as far as licensing? For instance, on my Zimbra FOSS server I host 4 domains. I have email accounts in all four for myself, plus general Info@ addresses. Plus my wife has 2 accounts. That's 10 total. So is that a 10 user license? Even though there are really only 2 people accessing it?

I ask this more because I am about to recommend Zimbra to a couple of small business customer I have and need to understand how to calculate licensing.

I know in Exchange it's only about how many concurrent logins you have.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

Licensing is based on the number of mail boxes.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
    What constitutes a user as far as licensing? For instance, on my Zimbra FOSS server I host 4 domains. I have email accounts in all four for myself, plus general Info@ addresses. Plus my wife has 2 accounts. That's 10 total. So is that a 10 user license? Even though there are really only 2 people accessing it?
    As mentioned above, it's the number of mailboxes. I guess in your scenario you have two 'mailboxes' and the other email address are aliases of the primary account? If you've actually created 10 different accounts (one for each of your email addresses) rather than using an alias for your other email addresses then that would be ten 'mailboxes'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you both for the replies.

And yes, I did actually create mailboxes for every one. Probably left over baggage from M$-Exchange.

That begs the question - Can I create and alias, have it delivered to a different folder and use a persona on it? I can see how that would save a LOT of mailboxes for some of my customers.

Now that I said it, it seems too easy Looks like I can do ALL sorts of things like that.

millerdc is offline Active Member

You or the user can create a filter that puts all incoming mail destined to a certain address, subject, from, or content into a specified folder. So there can be multiple aliases on an account and you can filter email based on the to: field to be placed in the corresponding folder.

fcash is offline Elite Member

And then create Personas with the correct FROM: address, and assign that Persona to a folder (it's listed on the persona tab in preferences) so that when you reply to a message in that folder ... it automatically uses the correct Name/E-mail address/signature.

Aliases + Filters + Folders + Personas is a very powerful combination.
    Freddie

It's funny, I've been using ZCS for about 3 years. And I use Personas religiously. But somehow it never occurred to me to use Aliases and Personas that way. It really will make my life easier.

But it will make it easier to convince customers to buy into it since they won't need to buy as many licenses.

Thread Information