Thread: [SOLVED] Debian6 (Squeeze) Release?

fish is offline Member

Default [SOLVED] Debian6 (Squeeze) Release?

Hi guys,

due to multiple reasons I had to update one of my servers to Debian6 (Squeeze). This server should be the one who runs Zimbra also, but unfortunatly Zimbra is only available for Debian5 (Lenny).
    Will there be a Debian6-Version soon or do I have to build my "own" Debian6-Version from SourceCode?

Thanks in advance.

Great regards,
    fish

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    due to multiple reasons I had to update one of my servers to Debian6 (Squeeze). This server should be the one who runs Zimbra also, but unfortunatly Zimbra is only available for Debian5 (Lenny).
    Will there be a Debian6-Version soon or do I have to build my "own" Debian6-Version from SourceCode?
    There will be no future versions of Zimbra for Debian (it's deprecated) after the Zimbra 7.x version. That means, of course, that there will be no specific Debian 6 release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

fish is offline Member

Thanks for the answer. I was hopping that deprecated means that there will be no Debain5-release but that there may be a future Debian6-release.

No Debian-Support probably means, that I will switch to an other mail-solution. To bad

Great regards,
    fish

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I was hopping that deprecated means that there will be no Debain5-release but that there may be a future Debian6-release.

No Debian-Support probably means, that I will switch to an other mail-solution. To bad

Great regards,
    fish
    Why not just switch to another distribution such as CentOS or even Ubuntu LTS (if you must ) and keep all the features/benefits of Zimbra?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Actually while both Debian 5's are black, I remember a blue Debian 6 for ZCS 7.5/IronMaiden (I presume it will be a while before it's public on PM). Squeeze went GA only 5 days ago. At the time those were marked black to convey there would be no Debian 5's for ZCS 7.5, and nothing to do with Debian overall.

You'll notice Fedora is the same way, when a new major version of ZCS is released the plan was to only provide on the latest fedora/debian available. There will be no F11 for ZCS 7.5 only F13 (or whatever's current at time of ZCS 7.5 GA).

In addition those two platforms are having their 32-bit phased out faster obviously. As they are the base/feeder OS's for RHEL/CentOS/Ubuntu anyways - so yes if you expect something more long term it's best to choose something that's also available in NE - and 64-bit.

mmorse is offline Moderator

In short, Quanah or Brian would have the definitive answer if there's going to be no more Debian or Fedora completely.

~

The current pages show it a little less staggered, for instance RHEL5_32 and RHEL4_64 were originally supposed to stick around 1 release longer (so there would be a ZCS 7.5 of them but not an 8.0) however those have already been moved to Black for 7.0, so no 7.5 release.

ie was going to be:
    RHEL6_64 when available
    RHEL5_64 current
    RHEL5_32 no 8.0 release (possible change)
    RHEL4_64 no 8.0 release (possible change)
    RHEL4_32 no 7.5 release

See the 7.0 vs 6.0 download pages:

Don't know why mac is accidentally white in that one, but there are shots of it was more correct, and of course we all know the mac 10.5 issues.

The current Zimbra Downloads FAQ: Phase-Out of 32bit has been simplified (to be less chatty) but the old in entirety used to read:

Gradual Phase-Out of 32bit Binaries - Q&A

Why are these downloads being slowly deprecated?
    While 32-bit computing will undoubtedly be around for quite some time, Zimbra is starting a 64-bit transition initiative early for several reasons. We've created this page simply to make people aware of this process with regards to their own planning, but you're still free to use 32-bit binaries while available of course.

How does this process work?
    When a new operating system is released, we simply build and publish only 64-bit binaries. Existing platforms and architectures will continue to be available as long as there are updates or support attainable from respective operating system providers.

What's the timing on version availability?
    This will take place over quite a while (read months) but we anticipate that by ZCS 8.0 there will be no more 32-bit releases. Please see the Zimbra Product Management Portal for a definitive answer.

And the benefits?
    • Half as many builds to double check means we can focus on quality in other areas of the product. A win-win situation.
    • Less servers or test instances to run and maintain; which in turn gets passed along as savings to our customers. We'll even argue that it helps the environment.
    • Cuts release time required; getting you new versions faster. Whether you're waiting for a fix or new feature, everyone can appreciate this.
    Though aren't upstream operating system designers (and third party package developers) still producing 32-bit material?
    Yup, but someday they won't. Rather than having it creep up on you - we feel you'll have a better experience all around if we start a deprecation plan coinciding with the major ZCS versions as well.

How do we move architectures (or platforms)?But we really need a version, and it's just too much work to convert all our systems. What do I do?
    If you're a Network Edition customer we'll be happy to work with you in a conversion plan, or possibly even give you access to a binary with limited support help (if there's an extremely pressing security matter.)

For the Open Source Edition we should point out that we will never intentionally block the ability to build from source, remove the definitions, etc of any platform or architecture. To put it simply: We just won't be building or testing them. If you notice something no longer compiles or is otherwise majorly broken, and you or anyone else in community finds a solution, file a bug and we'll happily add your patch to the core product. If it looks like an easy fix but you're not the developer type, we might even just engineer the solution for you.

With so few users, don't think I'll require that many more resources, RAM etc. Plus there's always PAE right?
    16MB used to be considered excessive. At some point you'll want to allocate more; if not for the sheer number of possibilities that the Zimbra Collaboration Suite will accomplish down the road - than for speed of existing features.

Remember that RAM is your friend, reduces disk I/O, and keeps Zimbra running smoother. Making you look like a hero. Granted no cape, but someone in your organization can probably scrounge one up for you. Physical Address Extensions (PAE) was a middle ground, solving only half of the equation.

Did you consider my super old hardware/software?
    We'll warrant it's not just about simply a CPU being capable, there's a software side to all your equipment as well. While many used to dread it, 64-bit drivers have actually gotten far better. If the major unix operating system providers don't code for it anymore, it's probably time to upgrade anyways. If you're really intent on keeping that Pentium II around, you probably aren't powering thousands of users who need the latest features.

So why force a migration now?
    Preparing you early for 32-bit's eventual demise is prudent. Many people are currently running 64-bit operating systems, but for whatever reason are only using 32-bit Zimbra. (Not related, but as an example: Have you investigated other important protocols for the IT future like IPv6? You should.)

It's my first time installing, what should I grab?
    Use the latest 64-bit platform where possible on your brand new systems, it will be supported longer.

As an Open Source Edition user, how can I plan/pick the best platform?
    Zimbra will still be providing choices such as Debian and Fedora 64-bit builds. For those platforms we always select the latest operating system available at time of release, rather than keeping multiple old versions around. If an accelerated upgrade cycle is too much for you, consider using something that's also available in the Network Edition. Plus if you come to desire the many additional features, upgrading is a breeze.

What do those background colors on the download pages mean?
    In simple green-yellow-red stoplight style colors we're letting you know which options are best for long term support.
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-11-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Thread Information