Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Questions from potential new user

  1. #1
    Storm16 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Questions from potential new user

    Hi,

    I am considering Zimbra to replace my current mailserver. It is running Kolab2, but the hardware is dying rapidly. However, I have a few questions regarding Zimbra before I dive in.

    1. I run Debian. The box I have is running unstable/sid. Will I have any problems installing/running 4.0.1 for Debian 3.1 (stable/sarge)?

    2. The recommended hardware calls for a 1.5GHz CPU and a 1GB of RAM. Since this is for my home network, I figure I can use these stats...I will ultimately have under a dozen mailboxes, but I want the groupware features. The only box that even comes close to this is my video processing box, which is a dual-processor PIII/966MHz with 2GB of RAM. At times, I will be postprocessing video, but mainly just handling 300-500 emails a day.

    3. How good and how flexible is the anti-spam? Since Zimbra uses a database backend, how difficult is training it? And is it possible to include other anti-spam apps?

    Thanks,
    --Storm

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,470
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm16
    Hi,

    I am considering Zimbra to replace my current mailserver. It is running Kolab2, but the hardware is dying rapidly. However, I have a few questions regarding Zimbra before I dive in.

    1. I run Debian. The box I have is running unstable/sid. Will I have any problems installing/running 4.0.1 for Debian 3.1 (stable/sarge)?
    I Don't know about debian, I'm afraid. You'll have to search the forums or wait for another debian user to answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm16
    2. The recommended hardware calls for a 1.5GHz CPU and a 1GB of RAM. Since this is for my home network, I figure I can use these stats...I will ultimately have under a dozen mailboxes, but I want the groupware features. The only box that even comes close to this is my video processing box, which is a dual-processor PIII/966MHz with 2GB of RAM. At times, I will be postprocessing video, but mainly just handling 300-500 emails a day.
    It is a slow machine but it should be OK with that amount of memory and with that number of mailboxes/mail count.


    Quote Originally Posted by Storm16
    3. How good and how flexible is the anti-spam? Since Zimbra uses a database backend, how difficult is training it? And is it possible to include other anti-spam apps?
    The anti-spam is very good, it uses Spamassassin and DSPAM to filter mail - you shouldn't need any other additions to your system. Zimbra feeds the training for both products.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
  2. Post instsallation problems
    By Assaf in forum Installation
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
  3. Getting problems in FC4 while instalation
    By kitty_bhoo in forum Installation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 10:34 PM
  4. Services stopped working
    By lilwong in forum Administrators
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
  5. Fedora Core 3, Clean Install - Not working!
    By pcjackson in forum Installation
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •