Thread: Installation on Virtual Dedicated Server

arkitektron is offline Active Member

Default Installation on Virtual Dedicated Server

Hello,

I was considering installing Zimbra on a Virtual Dedicated Server provided by GoDaddy hosting. Has anyone here done this or used their virtual dedicated servers? Do you recommend this? or should I steer clear of using this for a Zimbra Community Edition solution?

Please let me know your experiences, thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Thanks,
    ARK

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arkitektron View Post
    I was considering installing Zimbra on a Virtual Dedicated Server provided by GoDaddy hosting. Has anyone here done this or used their virtual dedicated servers? Do you recommend this? or should I steer clear of using this for a Zimbra Community Edition solution?
    It's not necessarily a bad idea but you'll usually find that cpanel (or whatever management panel they use) conflicts with the Zimbra install. If you can guarantee that the server has no other servers running (specifically an MTA and/or web server or cpanel) then it may be OK. You'll also need to tell us which operating systems you're using (and whether it's 32bit or 64bit) and which virtualisation platform then we can advise you further. One final point, for now, you will need access to package management on the server in case you have to upgrade the o/s or install any additional package requirements for Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

arkitektron is offline Active Member

Hello,
    Sorry this has taken so long to come back with additional information concerning the Virtual Dedicated Server which we would like to install and run Zimbra. Please review the following information and let me know if it is a theisable option or not.
    Again, this would be an attempt to install on a Virtual Dedicated Server from Godaddy.com… we were going to start with 2 GB RAM (we may just go for 4 GB to start with but have not made our mind up). We were just going to start with 30 GB harddrive space but we know we can expand as needed moving into the future.
    We have the choice of no control panel, a simple control panel, a plesk control panel or the cpanel. So I think we are good there if we decided to go with no control panel to start? Let me know.
    We have two choices of operating systems, both are 32 bit, one is CentOS 4 and the other is Fedora 7.
    As far as Fedor is concerned the following software already comes installed:
    - Apache 2.2.6
    - BIND 9.4.2
    - vsftpd 2.0.5
    - cURL 7.12.1
    - KernelFedora 7 2.6.9
    - MySQL 5.0.45
    - Perl 5.8.8
    - Postfix 2.4.5
    - PHP 5.2.4
    - Python 2.5
    - Sendmail 8.14.1
    - Yum 3.2.8
    I was also told by a member of their team that OS updates can be done and in fact we would be responsible to do so.
    Please let me know if this sounds like it could be a viable hosting package for a Zimbra install. Please also let me know if you have any additional questions to determine if this will work or not. Perhaps you could point us in the right direction of finding a reasonably priced dedicated or virtual dedicated host where we could install and run Zimbra for a low cost? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    arK

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd advise against it, while Fedora 7 is currently a supported platform it will disappear from the list when the next major release of Zimbra arrives and you'll have to move to a new server. If I were you I'd look for a hosting company that has 64bit CentOS5 as the operating system for their servers and use that - a bare metal server would be the ideal rather than a VPS. You may get it running but you're effectively on your own as far as support goes, a VPS isn't a supported platform.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information