Thread: FOSS & Ubuntu 10

spectra is offline Special Member

Default FOSS & Ubuntu 10

Anyone successfully installed FOSS using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS according to this wiki Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (Hardy Heron) Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

I know it works for 8, anyone tried it for 10.04 LTS ?

Would like to know if it's a dead end.

TIA

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    Anyone successfully installed FOSS using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS according to this wiki Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (Hardy Heron) Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

I know it works for 8, anyone tried it for 10.04 LTS ?
    What's so special about that install guide? It's exactly the same for installing any version of Zimbra.

Would like to know if it's a dead end.
    What do you mean by that?
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-23-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Not zimbra install but the DNS split stuff ? That's what I mean.
    It's not that its special, it's the DNS stuff that I'm talking about. Is it all the same for 10 ?

Not zimbra install but the DNS split stuff ? That's what I mean.
    It's not that its special, it's the DNS stuff that I'm talking about. Is it all the same for 10 ?
    If you read the Quick Start Installation Guide, the release notes and posts all over the forums, you need a Split DNS set-up if you're behind a NAT router (or firewall) - it's exactly the same requirements for all versions of Zimbra on all the Linux Distributions that it's installed on.
    Regards

Bill

Ah ha...now we cooking.
    So, what I really need to ask or know is, whether or not the split DNS technique as mentioned in the 8.04 article, is the same for ubuntu 10.

The more proper question then is how to do split DNS on say Ubuntu 10, Cent OS, Fedora etc.

The zimbra install is the same.
    The need is the same for zimbra behaind a firewall, split DNS.
    I think lots of users don't know how to do split DNS under the various distros on their zimbra server.

I also understand then, this is not the place to learn split DNS for the various distros.

So, are we on the same page now

Assuming that I will go off and learn it. What place is best to post that stuff in the Zimbra forums ? I think installation right ?

thanks

So, what I really need to ask or know is, whether or not the split DNS technique as mentioned in the 8.04 article, is the same for ubuntu 10.
    The Split DNS tells you everything you need to know about configuring a DNS server and how to verify the settings are correct - the 'technique' is the same whatever the distribution.
    Regards

Bill

Let me be sure I understand you.
    I read the SplitDNS article.
    What I gather is that, for me, I need Zimbra as a secondary.
    I make those few zimbra changes and the zimbra server is configured to relay email for all users defined on the zimbra server. Also, zimbra will receive emails for all users with an account on the zimbra server regardless of how it arrives. By how it arrives I mean, via forward from the primary server explicitly or sent directly to a valid account on the zimbra machine.

What is not addressed in the article is the stuff that goes on in named.conf.local file and so forth. What you are saying is that, how the 8.04 install guide talks about setting up the split dns and the files involved ( named.conf.local, named.conf. options, etc) are the same on any linux distro. So since that is the same your article don't speak on that. Your splitDNS artice addresses the changes to be made to zimbra to ensure zimbra can relay and receive for all accounts on zimbra.

So, you don't need to do smtp authentication within zimbra in order to get it to relay ? How does that happen ? If I am right it's because of this line right....zmprov md example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com

Guess I still wonder where and how the smtpauthentication will be done for emails being sent to users off the zimbra box.

This is all very good. As a newbie I think other newbie's will gain understanding.

thanks

Let me be sure I understand you.
    I read the SplitDNS article.
    What I gather is that, for me, I need Zimbra as a secondary.
    What do you mean 'as a secondary'?

What is not addressed in the article is the stuff that goes on in named.conf.local file and so forth.
    Yes it is, the configuration files are listed.

What isn't detailed is the location of those files on your favourite distribution. I'd expect most people that install it to be familiar (or at learn the basics) with the installation of packages and their configuration.

What you are saying is that, how the 8.04 install guide talks about setting up the split dns and the files involved ( named.conf.local, named.conf. options, etc) are the same on any linux distro.
    No, I didn't actually say that. What I said was "the 'technique' is the same whatever the distribution.".

So since that is the same your article don't speak on that. Your splitDNS artice addresses the changes to be made to zimbra to ensure zimbra can relay and receive for all accounts on zimbra.
    Relaying mail to another server is nothing to do with Split DNS.

So, you don't need to do smtp authentication within zimbra in order to get it to relay ? How does that happen ? If I am right it's because of this line right....zmprov md example.com zimbraMailTransport smtp:mail.example.com

Guess I still wonder where and how the smtpauthentication will be done for emails being sent to users off the zimbra box.
    I've no idea what you're actually asking here.

This is all very good. As a newbie I think other newbie's will gain understanding.
    There are already answer all over the forums and the wiki for your questions, have you searched them for further information?
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Wow, sorry that I don't understand you.
    I know you know your stuff but we are on different pages here.
    I know it's me due to lack of experience but I so don't get it.

I suppose I'll stick to that Ubuntu install guide that I know works and SMTP auth that works.

I know I saw no mention of named.local.conf and such in that article.

Anyhow, not fussing about anything. Thanks for your time

Thread Information