Thread: Questions regarding ZIMBRA on Amazon AWS using the available AMI

czar is offline Junior Member

Default Questions regarding ZIMBRA on Amazon AWS using the available AMI

Hi,

I have a ZIMBRA instance running on Amazon EC2. I used the available AMI, which seems to be a little bit old.

I got it all sorted out, Zimbra works, incoming/outgoing mail is fine. Zimbra Client on Mac works as well. iCal syncing, too.

Now I have several questions:

1. I assume it is the OpenSource edition, right?
    2. I am using the AMI to evaluate Zimbra as Exchange alternative for our hosted Exchange solution. But unfortunately, I read that I need the network edition to use the Outlook connector. Right? Any way around this?
    3. The iSync connector, which I found somewhere online, also reported that I need a license and should contact my admin. I could not finish configuration of my account.

How can i solve these issues to properly test the ZIMBRA functionality including Outlook/iSync etc.

THX

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    2. I am using the AMI to evaluate Zimbra as Exchange alternative for our hosted Exchange solution. But unfortunately, I read that I need the network edition to use the Outlook connector. Right? Any way around this?
    No, there isn't. If you wish to the Zimbra Connector for Outlook then you need a Zimbra Network Edition installed.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Does this also count for the iSync functionality?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Does this also count for the iSync functionality?
    Yes, it does.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Sorry, didn't see your reply when writing the second post in another thread.

It seems like you need the Network Edition to test proper syncing with Outlook or Apple Mail.

I was also uite disappointed by that and so far I did not come across any other provider offering a test account for the Zimbra NE to properyl test all its funktionality.

We are not going to make a transition from Exchange to Zimbr auntil we do so. But I really refuse to set up a complete test system on my own just because the pre-sales department doesn't want to deal with such requests.

Sorry Zimbra!

Klug is offline Moderator

You can use IMAP4(s) for Mail.app, calDAV(s) for iCal.app and cardDAV(s) for Contacts.app : these software use open formats and ZCS is able to provide sync using these open formats.
    That works with ZCS NE or OSE.

OTOH Outlook uses a proprietary way to sync with a server. The ZCO (Zimbra Connector for Outlook) handles this but isn't free.

If you want to test an hosted version of ZCS (not operated by yourself), you should check the "HSP partners" page on Zimbra's website.
    If you want to operate yourself the server, just download the software and get a trial key...

Thanks for your post. I did have Apple Mail and iCal up and running, CalDav didn't work for me.

I understood from other answers that I need the iSync-compatible plugin to get my addresses synced. Hence my disappointment on the OSX side.

I understand that the Outlook Connector is not free. I did not plan on using it without paying. But It would have been nice to enable it e.g. for 5 days to test or something like that.

i used an Amazon AMI to test it to avoid going through all the hassles of setting up a system by myself. Hence I could not use the NE trial.

Bye

Klug is offline Moderator

Thanks for your post. I did have Apple Mail and iCal up and running, CalDav didn't work for me.
    I understood from other answers that I need the iSync-compatible plugin to get my addresses synced. Hence my disappointment on the OSX side.
    No you don't : I run OSX (10.6.5 and 10.6.6) and some ZCS servers (NE and OSE, 6.0.8 to 6.0.10) and everything is running as it should.

i used an Amazon AMI to test it to avoid going through all the hassles of setting up a system by myself. Hence I could not use the NE trial.
    That might be the issue : you need a "not too old" version of ZCS in order to get caldav and co...

Ok.

I used the Turnkey-Linux-Zimbra AMI

Would be cool if Zimbra would provide an updated version themselves.... Just a thought.

Thread Information