Thread: Zimbra with Wordpress

majid.merkava is offline Starter Member

Default Zimbra with Wordpress

Hi guys,

I have installed zimbra open source edition version 6 on centos 5.5 with SSL certificate so i can run another web server. Now i want to install wordpress and a forum on it. Can i use the built in mysql server of zimbra? if not what is the solution?

bdial is offline Moderator

no you should not use zimbra's built in mysql server. you should run another instance of mysql on a different port.

are you planning on running a web server on the same box as zimbra? if so you'll run into conflicts there too, as zimbra listens on port 80, and you can't use zimbra to serve wordpress. the only solution really there is to either run a webserver or zimbra on another port, or setup some http proxying on the box. theres exampels of the latter on the wiki

majid.merkava is offline Starter Member

Zimbra server is running in HTTPS mode on port 449 so there will no conflicts.
    By the way thank you for advise. But should i install another mysql or i can edit the built in mysql conf file to listen to multiple ports?

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

You should install another MySQL.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

bofh is offline Elite Member

you should even think about moving zimbra to an virtual host (with kvm for example). playing around with more than one instance in mysql can be a pain if youre not used to it ... also its recommended to have a clean cut between zimbra and normal services (zimbra can be a pain too :-)

i would not recomment to sacrifice the stability of an webserver only to used it shared with zimbra -

dont get me wrong im absolutly not a fan of virtualisation - i think in most cases its more trouble - more expensive - more complicated and often not recommended - and i really dont understand the hype.

however zimbra is a real good case where it make sense and save you trouble, enhance your staibility and make your daily admin life easier

and btw its easier and faster to setup and much better to maintain.
    btw every proxying cost you responsetime of course only a little but many little things count together and you end up with several ms additional which sounds irrelevant...
    its not ... responsetime is for a webserver real important - user dont like to wait even a few miliseconds can cost you a certain percentage of visitors (it just feels slow - and visitors are very jumpy :-)

ok i know you gonna say hey just a small site not so important ... agree that you not gonna spend huge money for 5ms better responsetime but if you can improve for free just with better planing , bit more reading and a bit optimizing why not

plamenflo is offline Banned

Default zimbra on virtual machine

Previously we used Zimbra on a virtual machine (host Ubuntu 8.04 lts, HW - AMD opteron - VM 6 GB RAM). We have about 500 accounts. Unfortunately the virtual disk (file system) was gone (incl. all raid drives). We decide to buy another server for zimbra purpose only. We buy small HP server with no HDD.
    So we add 2 WD Velocy raptors @10000 rpm & 6 GB RAM. Cpu is intel 6950.
    This machine is much much faster (again ubuntu 8.04 , again Zimbra 6.0.8) than virtual on.
    So - depend on target you should decide - virtual machine for Zimbra or for Wordpress, but it's not good idea to start wordpress on zimbra server (security issue).

Sorry for my bad English

bofh is offline Elite Member

Of course its always faster without virtualisation - every layer cost a little or more ....
    but if you stick with KVM and RAW images you almost loose nothing at all
    not even vmware is that fast - you can also use an lvm drive as a guest harddrive which is a bit faster but of course not that flexible...
    if you need more features than raw might not the best choice.

but i dont think you gonna see a difference if you run only zimbra and btw drives are cheap. you should add anyway 2 additional drives (4 total) and do a raid 10 then you gonna see what speed is...

in addtion a cache raidcontroller doesnt hurt (please with battery:-) and if you wanna really fly try sd discs - you may also combine the raidlevels if you buy for example 8 smaller sd drives instead of 4 normal drives

btw i do not recommend the raptors 10k - you gain much more with more but slower drives (realtion to the costs).
    a 10k singel drive is faster but it really matters only for large files - you do not gain a faster acces time (not really) which is more important for most server applications like webservers, zimbra ....

for example with a raid 10 you get - 2 drives write concurrent
    4 drives read concurrent - which is always faster than any single super drive
    you should not forget - lifetime issues with 10k so if you have the money buy ssd - a lot of them build a nice raid - you gonna get an incredible performance - very fast response

10ks i would recommend for a mixed usage - fast big data sequential - means some database applications might profit - but are so big so ssd might be to expensive - or workstations - gamingstations

for normalservers - long life - many many normals drives and / or ssd for fast access time
    (zimbra normal operations on ssd and your storage on normal drives)

Thread Information