Thread: [SOLVED] How to Resolve host in Windows Server 2008 for Zimbra Installation(Pls Guide

mkhurram92 is offline Loyal Member

Red face [SOLVED] How to Resolve host in Windows Server 2008 for Zimbra Installation(Pls Guide

hey all there

i want to install Zimbra on CentOS 5 with name (mail) & IP(172.16.1.200) but i want to use the DNS (abc.info) of windows Sever 2008 with name mainServer & IP(172.16.1.100) that is already installed in my Environment.

I really dont have any idea how i can resolve DNS Host and how to add MX record in window Server for Zimbra so that it can be in action.
    i know i have to set some configuration in 2 files that are under

1. In /etc/resolv.conf
    search domain abc.info
    nameserver 172.16.1.100

2. /etc/hosts
    172.16.1.200 mail.abc.info mail
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Pls guide me step by step by tell what IP i have to set in DNS and for which Server. I know this is a stupid question but i need guidence...

Bundle of Thanks in advance.
    Jazaib Hussain
    Last edited by mkhurram92; 01-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.

LMStone is offline Moderator

If you are more comfortable configuring DNS on Windows Server than using BIND in Linux, that's totally OK -- just so long as Zimbra gets the DNS resolution it needs to function properly.

Keep in mind that busy mail servers do a lot of DNS lookups, so if you are going to have a big Zimbra installation, you may want to add another Domain Controller, install DNS on it and use that server instead as Zimbra's DNS server.

Since you are in a Windows environment, you know Zimbra can be configured to use Active Directory for user authentications, yes?

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Keep in mind that busy mail servers do a lot of DNS lookups, so if you are going to have a big Zimbra installation, you may want to add another Domain Controller, install DNS on it and use that server instead as Zimbra's DNS server.
    Hay Mark Thanks for the quick reply.
    yes its a big setup and i totally unfamiliar with Host Resoving in DNS for Zimbra
    Can u guide me pls ???
    We learn something every day, and lots of times it's that what we learned the day before was wrong.

Jazaib Hussain

indrawan is offline New Member

i think you just use split Domain in linux or Windows, if you use same DNS .....
    or Share SMTP ....

hope that helps

wawan....

Quote Originally Posted by indrawan View Post
    i think you just use split Domain in linux or Windows, if you use same DNS .....
    or Share SMTP ....
    Hay Thanks for the Quick reply...

u prefer to install a new DC for my enviornemt ???

pls can u explain split Domain concept. it is new for me
    We learn something every day, and lots of times it's that what we learned the day before was wrong.

Jazaib Hussain

Quote Originally Posted by indrawan View Post
    hi everyone...

who know ,how change to be update password external Active Directory (Microsoft Server 2003 ) when i change user password in Zimbra client? but in Active Directory is not update.....??
    U Must Change password on both the Client and AD Also...

Pls post in in seperate Post

Jazaib Hussain

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mkhurram92 View Post
    Hay Mark Thanks for the quick reply.
    yes its a big setup and i totally unfamiliar with Host Resoving in DNS for Zimbra
    Can u guide me pls ???
    This wiki page Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki describes specifically how to configure Split DNS on a Zimbra box (I know you want to configure DNS on your Windows server), but the first part of the article explains why DNS needs to be configured this way and how Zimbra relies on DNS.

If it were me, I would set up DNS on your Zimbra server anyway for the reasons given in the wiki article, but make the BIND installation on Zimbra a Slave to your Windows Master DNS.

Doing so will take some extra configuration work you'll need to research, but will save you from having to make manual zone change entries in two different places. If you don't expect to make many changes in your zone file and you have little experience configuring DNS, then you may be better off just following the wiki article, and each time you do make a change to DNS, just remember to make it in both the Windows and the Zimbra BIND DNS. It's your call.

The wiki article has tests you can run which will let you know when you have gotten everything sorted out properly.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

I really dont have any idea how i can resolve DNS Host and how to add MX record in window Server for Zimbra so that it can be in action.
    I Create a new Host for that Server(Mail) and Create a MX record that refers to the Mail Server Host record

Jazaib Hussain

Thread Information