Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZCS 6.0.10 Installation Error on Mint 10

Clairmont is offline Junior Member

Default ZCS 6.0.10 Installation Error on Mint 10

Hey all,

I've been working on a project for work and it involves connecting a Linux based MTA to our Exchange server. I came across Zimbra and decided to try out the suite until we get our Linux mail server up and running. Problem is that I can't get it to install, it errors out during the initial dependency checks failing out at libgmp3.

I did a search on here to see if any of the solutions for people worked. I tried apt-get install libgmp3 and it couldnt find it, tried finding it through Yum and same thing.

I'm an intermediate Linux user but have a passion for learning it and playing around with so if I haven't done anything for an obvious fix, please say so! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by phoenix; 12-24-2010 at 10:08 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Clairmont View Post
    I'm an intermediate Linux user but have a passion for learning it and playing around with so if I haven't done anything for an obvious fix, please say so!
    Surely the obvious 'fix' would be to install Zimbra on a supported platform? Using a version of a linux distribution that has not been tested by Zimbra, nor has there been a build for 'Mint', is not the best environment for a production (or even a test) mail server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by vavai View Post
    As Phoenix noted, You would better to install Zimbra on a supported platform. I would recommend installing zcs 6.0.10 on Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04 instead of LinuxMint 10.

Most improvement on LinuxMint are about desktop usability, that in many case doesn't related to the server performance (well, I'm using LinuxMint 10 Julia on my desktop too)
    That's what I'd like to use Mint for.... the desktop side of a project for work. I thought Mint was based off of a form of debian. Apparently I was wront and it's Ubuntu.

Any suggestions for an MTA that will be able to temporarily work with exchange? The project requires exchange functionality (until we get a linux based email system set up) and be able to have some sort of shared calendar system.

Quote Originally Posted by vavai View Post

How about install Zimbra on a virtual system. Install
    2. You may also install another MTA (e.g : plain Postfix, Sendmail or Qmail) but if you want to test your system with Microsoft Exchange, IMHO, Zimbra would be the best option in features and functionality.
    Option 2 seems to be a bit better of an option for what we are looking for. We've got users of all ranges of computer experience levels, so seeing Mint and the ease of use for users (in contrast to windows, same layout of the taskbar), if you know anything Debian based that is user friendly, I'm definitely willing to give it a look and see how I think our end users will be able to handle/react to it.

fyd
    fyd is offline Elite Member

Using a version of a linux distribution that has not been tested by Zimbra, nor has there been a build for 'Mint', is not the best environment for a production (or even a test) mail server
    Okay, but shouldn't zimbra work well on Mint since it is based on Debian and Ubuntu? I am guessing it should if the dependencies are sorted out like libgmp3. Unless there is an obvious reason. Please correct If I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    Okay, but shouldn't zimbra work well on Mint since it is based on Debian and Ubuntu?
    The problem with that question is the words "based on", if it were that simple Zimbra wouldn't build different versions for each Distribution it supports. The fact it's based on Debian or Ubuntu doesn't make it one of those distributions, each distribution has it's own policies about what packages it supplies with the product and what version of libraries it has installed. If Linux (by that I mean the Distributions) was a universal operating system with consistent packages and packaging tools with all the same libraries - unfortunately that isn't likely to happen any time soon - then Zimbra would run on any of the distributions.

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    I am guessing it should if the dependencies are sorted out like libgmp3. Unless there is an obvious reason. Please correct If I am wrong.
    Fix the dependency problem and it probably will work but in my opinion a consumer grade distribution isn't a good starting point for a reliable mail server, it's not even good enough for testing one.
    Regards

Bill

fyd
    fyd is offline Elite Member

Hmm .. never looked into libraries and packages in mint, thought it was similar to ubuntu. And yeah, what obvious reason than the last statement .. b e a u tiful!

Tripple is offline Elite Member

I don't understand your arguments Clairmont. You're saying there are users with all ranges of computer experience levels.

Users!

I guess they can use Mint and Firefox to access the Zimbra server?
    The server system has nothing to do with this and your users don't even need to know what server system you're using.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple View Post
    I don't understand your arguments Clairmont. You're saying there are users with all ranges of computer experience levels.

Users!

I guess they can use Mint and Firefox to access the Zimbra server?
    The server system has nothing to do with this and your users don't even need to know what server system you're using.
    I'm trying to find an easy to use Linux distro for a wide range of computer knowledge end users (ranging from using the mouse on the monitor, to comfortable computer users) to replace their windows desktop. The other part of the project is to find a good distro that we can set up a mail/calendar server for these desktops.

The first reason I was originally looking into Zimbra was because in my searches for a good MTA to place on these replacement desktops, Zimbra had popped up in the top 5 in several reviews in google searches. So I guess my next question is since I dont know the ease of use for the major distros, (only know fedora and mint so far), do you guys have any suggestions as to what distro I should use for the desktops? Most MTAs I've seen/tried arent very reliable so far with connecting to our exchange server (for a temporary time, until we can determine if the project is even plausible).

If more clarification is needed for my work's project, please let me know and I'll answer your questions as much as I can

I'm trying to find an easy to use Linux distro for a wide range of computer knowledge end users (ranging from using the mouse on the monitor, to comfortable computer users) to replace their windows desktop. The other part of the project is to find a good distro that we can set up a mail/calendar server for these desktops.
    The most tested distribution for Zimbra is Red Hat Enterprise Linux, if you want a reliable mail server then use CentOS5 (it's a binary compatible rebuild of RHEL, it's also free). For the desktop machines I'd recommend openSUS 11.3. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions for moth of those solutions.

If more clarification is needed for my work's project, please let me know and I'll answer your questions as much as I can
    You've mentioned Exchange, where does that fit in this scenario and what exactly is the set-up with Zimbra going to be? One other point, if you are getting a new server for Zimbra then you should make sure it's a 64bit system.

You will also need a suitable server (with sufficient RAM and RAID subsystem) for you new MTA, you should give some details of how many users will be on this server and whether they'll be connecting vai the Web UI or via fat clients etc., etc.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information