Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra without MX and iPhone/Mac Integration

juliettpapa is offline New Member

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra without MX and iPhone/Mac Integration

Hallo to all,

two questions i cant find so far answered:

1. Can Zimbra Community Edition get mails from external providers? I ve read, that the Client can fetch external mails. I want the server to get the mails without MX-Record (like Exchange Server with some tools does...) Where can i find a howto?

2. Can i use iphone/Mac as clients in the community edition?

Regards
    juliettpapa

Dirk is offline Moderator

Yes, but only at a client level. You can add a pop3 mailbox to a user account and it will pull in that mail and store it in the users store.

As ZCS is designed to be an email server for a domain, it only makes sense to point the MX record for that domain to the zimbra server.

iphone intergration uses activesync protocol, for which you need licenses, mac intergration can go ahead and use any email client using pop3/imap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Yes, but only at a client level. You can add a pop3 mailbox to a user account and it will pull in that mail and store it in the users store.
    That's what I was afraid of.......
    But this fact does not affect the other functions?

I am searching for a small, nice and "payable" solution for SMB with 5-10 Users.There it is possible to create/administer the mail addresses locally.

Does someone have the Community Edition working in a SMB? What are your experiences?

Thank you
    greets
    jp

Dirk is offline Moderator

I ran the open source version for home email for quite a while and it was fine, but I had mail delivery directly to the server by pointing the MX record to my home IP address.

You can do this for a small business very easily, you could even run a single zimbra server for multiple businesses without each one being aware of the other. Is there a problem with modifying the MX record to point at the zimbra server? Or are the email addresses for the staff not in a domain that you can control? (like are they hotmail accounts or something)

ewilen is offline Moderator

iPhone can use IMAP/CalDAV with Zimbra Community Edition. CardDAV too, but there may be some complications and/or bugs: iPhone IOS 4 and CardDAV

Note also that the ZCS has a pretty good mobile web interface, and there's also Aderium Companion for Zimbra iPhone Application

OK, i will buy a new domain name, pointing to my ip and test it. Never thought about it, because most groupwares can handle external addresses.
    Thanks so far.
    Questions answered. Problem solved.

Greetz
    jp

Thread Information