Thread: Debian Installer Fails - Testing

WALoeIII is offline Junior Member

Default Debian Installer Fails - Testing

I get no where. I tar -zxvf'd it and then sudo ./install.sh and it couldn't find any of the modules, and then it couldn't even find sudo (I USED SUDO TO RUN INSTALL!). I'm on testing, have there been changes? Should I just install it from source?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

1) Testing isn't support. It should work but you may come across some foibles. I've had to do a little hacking on my rig to get it playing nice, particularly with regards to openssl0.9.8, but it was pretty minimal certainly none of the problems you're describing.

2) Don't use sudo to do the install. 'su -' to full root environment or just login as root to do it. Zimbra should preserve the existing sudo environment but just in case..

3) DON'T SHOUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2
    1) Testing isn't support. It should work but you may come across some foibles. I've had to do a little hacking on my rig to get it playing nice, particularly with regards to openssl0.9.8, but it was pretty minimal certainly none of the problems you're describing.

2) Don't use sudo to do the install. 'su -' to full root environment or just login as root to do it. Zimbra should preserve the existing sudo environment but just in case..

3) DON'T SHOUT!!
    1) Not sure how it would fail to notice basic utilites like sudo, testing hasn't changed that.

2.) I downloaded it, untarred it and tried to install it both via sudo and as root. Same issues. Not sure why that would matter either way, sudo is the same as root, thats the idea behind the utility.

3.) Frustrated.

daimer77 is offline Active Member

Default More info needed

Hi can You provide info about Your system Debian version and kernel as well as physical architecture like x86 or AMD 64 ???

I had some issues with Debian two, but now it seems to work (albeit I have not done any testing yet).

Best regards, Daniel Mersebak

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

1) Not sure how it would fail to notice basic utilites like sudo, testing hasn't changed that.

well that's a good indication something more serious has borked. have you got sudo installed as a package? dpkg -s sudo is how zimbra installer checks for the prereq. if it can't find the most basic elements of your OS, clearly something has gone wrong with the installer routines - install.sh calls util/utilfunc.sh - checkRequired(). given that everyone else here running debian hasn't reported the same issues i'd wager it is your install that is at fault. zimbra installers are rather sensitive to the underlying OS - it likes to be installed on a fresh exact version it's built for.

2.) I downloaded it, untarred it and tried to install it both via sudo and as root. Same issues. Not sure why that would matter either way, sudo is the same as root, thats the idea behind the utility.
    it's not exactly the same, otherwise it wouldn't exist. zimbra installer rewrites sudoers. either way, it was just a suggestion to eliminate possible problems.

3.) Frustrated.
    chill..

Code:
    andrew@andrewloe:~$ uname -a
    Linux andrewloe.com 2.6.16-2-686 #1 Fri Aug 18 19:01:49 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
    andrew@andrewloe:~$ dpkg -s sudo
    Package: sudo
    Priority: optional
    Section: admin
    Installed-Size: 396
    Maintainer: Bdale Garbee 
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.6.8p12-4
    Replaces: sudo-ldap
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libpam0g (>= 0.76), libpam-modules
    Conflicts: sudo-ldap
    Conffiles:
     /etc/pam.d/sudo e3aaa79c2a00244cdfd17117127f8993
     /etc/init.d/sudo 64f882a713108e70dc6133444177281f
    Description: Provide limited super user privileges to specific users
     Sudo is a program designed to allow a sysadmin to give limited root
     privileges to users and log root activity.  The basic philosophy is to give
     as few privileges as possible but still allow people to get their work done.
     This version is built with minimal shared library dependencies, use the
     sudo-ldap package instead if you need LDAP support.
    The machine has been working reliably for a while with no issues. I'd like to try ZCS isntead of my homebrew postfix solution, I plan to change ports 80 and 443 though since I use those for a number of web applications, I don't have a dedicated box I can throw at this (box hosts all personal sites, sandboxing it is ok).

adobrin is offline Special Member

can you paste the error messages you've gotten, and maybe the install log file? it sounds like you have an issue with your path's under root. try um,

"which sudo"

and "locate sudo", as root, and see what they give you.

Thread Information