Thread: Moved /store and /db files

jpsinacola is offline Intermediate Member

Default Moved /store and /db files

I wanted to put my store and db files on a separate volume, I use openfiler as my san, so I have a 100GB partition that I mounted on /zimbra-data.

These were my steps:
    1. Stop Zimbra services
    2. mv /opt/zimbra/store and /opt/zimbra/db to /zimbra-data

So, now I have /zimbra-data/store and /zimbra-data/db

3. I created symbolic links to the new folders. ln -s /opt/zimbra/store /zimbra-data/db and ln -s /opt/zimbra/db /zimbra-data/db.

Everything seemed to go fine. I re-started the Zimbra services and all said started. However I could not access my store. I checked status and all said running except 'mysql.server is not runnning'. I tried to restart it. When I restart it, it says started, however when I check status again, it says not running. So, it will not stay running. Any ideas on what I did wrong or how I could fix it? Thank you very much.

bdial is offline Moderator

i recall zimbra often hvaing troubles with symlinks, i would try using bind mounts instead.

Thank you for the replies. I was wondering first why moving the /db and /store to a SAN is a bad idea? Firstly, my deployment is for 150 users. I could see if I was using OpenFiler with > 1000 users maybe because of bandwidth limitation of iSCSI. If I run into a problem with performance, then I will upgrade it to fiber. My OpenFiler box is replicated to another OpenFiler instance. My storage capacity is basically limitless, versatile, and redundant. Also, it saved a ton of money as far as a SAN solution goes.

I figured out my problem by the way. I lost all my permissions and ownerships when I copied the /store and /db directories. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zimbra to check the default ownership/permissions. Once that was done, it took about 10 minutes to fix. I created a 100Gb chunck of storage from OpenFiler, added it to my SUSE vm, created a volume, formatted and mounted it. I stopped zimbra services. Did a cp -pr /opt/zimbra/db and /store to my new /zimbra-data directory. Removed the old directories. Created virtual links to /opt/zimbra/data and store to /zimbra-data. Stopped and restarted mysql. Started Zimbra services. Worked like a charm.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Glad that worked for you but Zimbra does sometimes have problems with symlinks.

Why not just remount the SAN directories to the zimbra default locations and be done with it?

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Because my experience in the SAN world is new, as well as my deep exploration into Linux. Sometimes it takes a community. I did not think of that solution quite frankly, and now that you pointed it out, makes much more sense. Thank you for the tip.

Thread Information