Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Moved /store and /db files

  1. #1
    jpsinacola is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Moved /store and /db files

    I wanted to put my store and db files on a separate volume, I use openfiler as my san, so I have a 100GB partition that I mounted on /zimbra-data.

    These were my steps:
    1. Stop Zimbra services
    2. mv /opt/zimbra/store and /opt/zimbra/db to /zimbra-data

    So, now I have /zimbra-data/store and /zimbra-data/db

    3. I created symbolic links to the new folders. ln -s /opt/zimbra/store /zimbra-data/db and ln -s /opt/zimbra/db /zimbra-data/db.

    Everything seemed to go fine. I re-started the Zimbra services and all said started. However I could not access my store. I checked status and all said running except 'mysql.server is not runnning'. I tried to restart it. When I restart it, it says started, however when I check status again, it says not running. So, it will not stay running. Any ideas on what I did wrong or how I could fix it? Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    bdial's Avatar
    bdial is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    i recall zimbra often hvaing troubles with symlinks, i would try using bind mounts instead.

  3. #3
    jpsinacola is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Thank you for the replies. I was wondering first why moving the /db and /store to a SAN is a bad idea? Firstly, my deployment is for 150 users. I could see if I was using OpenFiler with > 1000 users maybe because of bandwidth limitation of iSCSI. If I run into a problem with performance, then I will upgrade it to fiber. My OpenFiler box is replicated to another OpenFiler instance. My storage capacity is basically limitless, versatile, and redundant. Also, it saved a ton of money as far as a SAN solution goes.

    I figured out my problem by the way. I lost all my permissions and ownerships when I copied the /store and /db directories. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zimbra to check the default ownership/permissions. Once that was done, it took about 10 minutes to fix. I created a 100Gb chunck of storage from OpenFiler, added it to my SUSE vm, created a volume, formatted and mounted it. I stopped zimbra services. Did a cp -pr /opt/zimbra/db and /store to my new /zimbra-data directory. Removed the old directories. Created virtual links to /opt/zimbra/data and store to /zimbra-data. Stopped and restarted mysql. Started Zimbra services. Worked like a charm.

  4. #4
    LMStone's Avatar
    LMStone is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    477 Congress Street | Portland, ME 04101
    Posts
    1,366
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Glad that worked for you but Zimbra does sometimes have problems with symlinks.

    Why not just remount the SAN directories to the zimbra default locations and be done with it?

    Hope that helps,
    Mark

  5. #5
    jpsinacola is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Because my experience in the SAN world is new, as well as my deep exploration into Linux. Sometimes it takes a community. I did not think of that solution quite frankly, and now that you pointed it out, makes much more sense. Thank you for the tip.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •