Thread: changing hostname/domain name

theyCallMeDvD is offline Banned

Default changing hostname/domain name

I am in the process of setting up a zimbra server for a few users.

I want to do testing on a domain we are not using and want to know how you change the domain in zimbra (during installation I set it up with the domain I will be using later). I changed the hostname and updated the hosts file with the new info but can't figure out how to change zimbra with the new domain. (I can't log into the web gui because I can start the services after changing host/domain name).

Also does anyone have and info on setting up DNS with zimbra. I have a windows server 2008 with DNS but that is for a different domain, I guess I can add the domain(s) I will be using but it might be better to use bind9 on the same server as zimbra. Any thoughts?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by theyCallMeDvD View Post

I want to do testing on a domain we are not using and want to know how you change the domain in zimbra (during installation I set it up with the domain I will be using later). I changed the hostname and updated the hosts file with the new info but can't figure out how to change zimbra with the new domain. (I can't log into the web gui because I can start the services after changing host/domain name).
    Use the zmprov command to rename the domain:

Code:
    zmprov help commands
    Also does anyone have and info on setting up DNS with zimbra. I have a windows server 2008 with DNS but that is for a different domain, I guess I can add the domain(s) I will be using but it might be better to use bind9 on the same server as zimbra. Any thoughts?
    You can set-up the DNS records on any DNS server, search the wiki for the words 'split dns'.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Depends upon what you call "better". If you want all your domains managed from one spot, then the Windows box would be the place that I'd put it. But, if you want the Zimbra server to be able to operate on its own without depending upon that particular box you'll want to setup bind.

Thread Information