Thread: uninstalling zimbra-ldap

abacabb is offline Loyal Member

Default uninstalling zimbra-ldap

I just installed zimbra for the first time on Fedora 11. I installed it with the ldap. But I realized that I don't care to utilize ldap at all.

I'm moving from mail enable. I just want to use zimbra to host email for all of my domains. Would this require for me to remove the zimbra-ldap? If so, how can I do this?

Also, can someone refer me to a how-to section for hosting email for multiple domains?

....One more thing....I gave an arbitrary host name to this linux machine. But zimbra appears to require a logical one that it can resolve with. The address for my current mail server I'm using now is mail.whatever.com. It has an MX record and its been working for years. The current mail server is behind a NAT firewall. So mail.whatever.com is just an outside name while the machine itself has an entirely different host name. The zimbra install suggests that it needs the public name configured as its host name. However when I try to do so, it says it cannot find the MX record for it. When I do nslookup mail.whatever.com, it finds it just fine. Should I ignore this error?

-----------------------

I've uninstalled Zimbra completely. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a how-to section that shows the configuration that I am trying to achieve.

Basically I just want to be able to host multiple domains like I do with Mail Enable. I also want to be able to utilize Spam Assassin filtering. As you've probably guess already....I'm a total n00b at zimbra...lol
    Last edited by abacabb; 08-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by abacabb View Post
    I just installed zimbra for the first time on Fedora 11. I installed it with the ldap. But I realized that I don't care to utilize ldap at all.

I'm moving from mail enable. I just want to use zimbra to host email for all of my domains. Would this require for me to remove the zimbra-ldap? If so, how can I do this?
    It's required that you install the Zimbra LDAP, users are provisioned in there and it's also used for other Zimbra related information.

Also, can someone refer me to a how-to section for hosting email for multiple domains?
    Just create multiple domains in the Admin UI.

....One more thing....I gave an arbitrary host name to this linux machine. But zimbra appears to require a logical one that it can resolve with. The address for my current mail server I'm using now is mail.whatever.com. It has an MX record and its been working for years. The current mail server is behind a NAT firewall. So mail.whatever.com is just an outside name while the machine itself has an entirely different host name. The zimbra install suggests that it needs the public name configured as its host name. However when I try to do so, it says it cannot find the MX record for it. When I do nslookup mail.whatever.com, it finds it just fine. Should I ignore this error?
    You need a Split DNS if you're behind a NAT router and the Zimbra server requires a correct /etc/hosts file and must be formatted correctly - please read the Quick Start Installation Guide in the Docs section (link at the top of this page) - I'd also suggest you read the Admin Guide while you're there and search the forums for some answer to your questions.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default need ldap server?

[QUOTE=phoenix;192889]It's required that you install the Zimbra LDAP, users are provisioned in there and it's also used for other Zimbra related information.

-------

Since LDAP is required, does that mean I need an LDAP server like Active Directory for it to connect to? Or can zimbra house its own user accounts?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's required that you install the Zimbra LDAP, users are provisioned in there and it's also used for other Zimbra related information.
    -------

Since LDAP is required, does that mean I need an LDAP server like Active Directory for it to connect to? Or can zimbra house its own user accounts?
    I thought the answer was clear from my reply?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

yeah i go it. Sorry about that. Exhausted here from moving..lol.

I got bind setup correctly...however I noticed when I ping the my mail.mailserver.com, it kind of takes 1 or 2 seconds for the ping to begin.

Like, it will immediately display

"PING mail.mymailserver.com (55.55.55.55) 56(84) bytes of data."

....but it hangs at that line for a second or so. Then it replies with the correct info....and each reply's time is remarkable.

But that initial second kind of worries me. Is there a setting somewhere for this? Or is this normal?

----

After i installed Zimbra, it found port conflicts:

Port conflict detected: 25 (zimbra-mta)
    Port conflict detected: 25 (zimbra-mta)
    Port conflicts detected! - Any key to continue

any ideas?

-----

When I "su - zimbra" it gives the error "trying to create local folder /opt/zimbra/.kde: Permission denied....Then it logs me out of root.

and

when I "zmcontrol status", MTA and spell are stopped.

------

It's weird, I can't seem to login as the zimbra user at all. When I try su - zimbra...it will ask me for a password...which I assume is the root password of the server. It just tells me it's incorrect now.

--------

I found it! It was a service called exim. I've never even heard of that one. Anyways I just wiped it out using yum -C remove exim.....going to install zimbra again. Wish me luck..lol.
    Last edited by abacabb; 08-16-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Dirk is offline Moderator

This server that you've installed Zimbra onto, is it doing anything else, like running a GUI?

It's not recommended to install in that way, really you just want a blank canvas, a bare linux install that Zimbra can use as it's own. The port conflict would then go away.
    Something is using port 25 already so you need to trace it and remove it, or start from a cleaner platform.

The zimbra user will have a password, but you wont necessarily know what it is. "sudo su zimbra" will get you into that account, the password it's asking for is your user account password.

I'm 90% sure that it must be postfix.....even though I didn't see it during the install of fedora. When I do a find / -name postfix..... I see it installed. But when I open service configuration in the GUI......I don't see it listed....its weird. I uninstalled zimbra and was able to telnet to port 25 successfully. How can I either stop postfix permanently and/or uninstall it from fedora 11? Or verify that its even running?

Dirk is offline Moderator

Not too sure with fedora, but this should do it
    Code:
    /sbin/chkconfig --level 12345 postfix off
    That should stop postfix from starting at bootup, so reboot after issuing that command.

Thread Information