Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IIS installation

locs is offline Junior Member

Default IIS installation

Hie,
    I've a question about zimbra and IIS installation.
    I don't know how to install Zimbra on IIS webserver???
    Can you help me please?
    Thks for avance

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

Welcom to the forums.

The quick answer to your question is, you don't install it on IIS. Zimbra is a Linux application and runs it's own instance of Tomcat. The web client is just your normal browser (IE or FF) and nothing special is needed.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the question so could you tell me what it is you're trying to achieve?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

In fact i want to install zimbra on my server which run under Windows server 2003, bu i don't how to do this???
    have you got an idea???
    Is it possible???
    Thanks for your interest!!
    Sorry for my english, i'm french user ;-)

Your English is fine.

OK, the answer is no I'm afraid. Zimbra is a linux application only and it's a complete package or products to produce the end result of a Collaboration Server. I think most of the applications could be ported to Windows with the exception of Postfix, there is no Windows implementation of that.

There is one option if you want to test this on a Windows machine and that's to install the VMware Server (it's free) and then install something like CentOS (it's also free and binary compatible with Red Hat Linux) then install Zimbra on that. For that to be usefule you'd need plenty of RAM on your system but you could certainly run a test server on that.

The recommended installation for Zimbra is in the product documentation but it's intended to run on a dedicated machine, you could add a linux server to your LAN (it's not that difficult, I'm also a convert from Windows to linux) running Zimbra.

Is this for your own use or business? Any reason why you couldn't move to linux or add a linux server to your LAN?
    Regards

Bill

Thanks for your answer. In fact this is for my business, for intranet !!! I havn't understand your answer about how to install Zimbra on Windows server.
    Can i use shell interpreter like Cygwin???
    There isn't any other to way to run it under windows server???
    Thanks for you interest!!!

No, you can't run Zimbra under cygwin.

Have you heard of a company called VMware? They produce virtualization software, you install it on your machine (Windows in your case) and it allows you to install another operating system on the same machine and run it as a virtual machine. So, you install VMware Server, you then install a version of Linux to run under VMware and then you install Zimbra on that version of Linux. It appears to your LAN just like another server running on it's own hardware with a LAN IP address. As I mentioned, to do this you would need additional RAM on your current Windows server.

Using VMware isn't an ideal solution but you certainly can do it. Have a look at the VMware site here and the free server software here.

There is already a Zimbra Appliance that can be installed on VMware, have a look on this page. The appliance only needs to be downloaded then run under VMware, you don't need to get a linux distribution working as it's already in the Appliance.

Does that help?
    Regards

Bill

Oki i just take a look about VMware, it's very interesting but not adaptable for my network et application use.Thanks for your help. But do you know other free web application like zimbra and all its feature, that we can install on windows 2003 server, and have web calandar, web mail, web agenda, etc....
    I've make a search about, but i havn't find any other one!! Have you got any that i can explore ;-)
    Thanks

I'm a bit biased but I think it would be worthwhile looking at the Zimbra Appliance and maybe install a linux server later.

As far as Windows is concerned there don't seem to be too many free applications that fill your requirements I don't really know anything that will. Maybe one of the other forum members might be able to point you to something.

Good Luck.
    Regards

Bill

Klug is offline Moderator

I obviously agree with Bill and add there are french companies able to help on Zimbra tests, support and so on.

French MP on its way to try to get more informations about the need/issues with VMWare 8)
    Last edited by Klug; 08-25-2006 at 11:49 PM.

I've have undesstand that VMware could be a solution to turn on zimbra on my network 's confguration, but i don't think it's a godd way, because vmware on windows server would need a lot of ressource et maybe cause server's instability.
    Maybe exist an another way like egroupware, which resolve my needs!!!!
    Du you know other groupware, or webagenda??? who can function like web services and can turn on windows server?? lol there's a lot of condition lol!!!
    Have a nice day!!!
    thks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information