Thread: installation

jason.rgd is offline Intermediate Member

Default installation

what if I already have a lamp server... will zimbra install a lamp server again.. I haven't tried installing as yet because I tried it earlier on ubuntu 10.04 and now currently downloading debian 5.. please help!!!

Also wanted to know whether zimbra will work fine for a local intranet!!! and what would be needed in terms of settings

where will I find the zimbra api's...
    Last edited by jason.rgd; 07-15-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Dirk is offline Moderator

Well, there's a couple of questions!
    I'd recommend hitting the wiki and documents links and reading up a little.
    Zimbra ships with everything it needs, so it will install it's own webserver, among other things. Generally these use nonstandard ports and so will co-exist with anything you already have installed, but the standard advice is that nothing else should be installed.

Just build a linux server with no additional packages and then deploy zimbra to it. You may need to install a couple of dependancies to make the package install, but that's easy.

I dont really understand what you mean by intranet, Zimbra is accessible by TCP/IP, so if there's a route to it, you can see it. It matters not where you access it from (lan/wan) so long as theres a route.

I recommend installing a server with Ubunto Server 8.04 LTS 64bit, but it's your call.

danielfarrelly is offline Special Member

Zimbra will work with a preinstalled lamp server, however at the very least, you'll need to change the ports within one of the configs - preferably, lamp. might be easiest to temporarily disable the lamp, install Zimbra, apply whatever configs you decide is best for you, then restart lamp.

local intranet is fine so long as DNS is properly configured (and available). Zimbra will not run on 10.04 (listen to Dirk and use 8.04).

I'm wanna use 64 bit but the server architecture is 32 bit only... p4 processor... and since at a time there will be no more than 5 -7 people using the server I'm not expecting slow server responses... hence my choice debian 5 "lenny" 32 bit edition till my boss shifts to a 64 bit processor... I've seen additional packages of apache inside the installation folder when I had downloaded it for ubuntu... so I thought it may install that again.. I don't want it to install again... rather to install it in the lampp server which is already present.. what should I do for that!!! and yeah please post a link to the zimbra soap apis just couldn't find it on google...

thanks for the help in advance..

danielfarrelly is offline Special Member

Zimbra will not run well on a P4 - much like it will not run well on a C2D. If you can, stick to Xeon chips. What is the rest of your hardware setup?

well this hardware is only being used for test purposes and not large deployments.. Once tested successful on older hardware it will be shifted to a latest configuration machine.. where can I find the zimbra api's...

Thread Information