Thread: zmprov does not change settings

niklaas is offline New Member

Default zmprov does not change settings

Hi there!

I just recently installed Zimbra on my server. The entire day I worked with the installation, configuring it and getting to know Zimbra more and more. Now, everything seems to run quite well -- except one thing: I cannot do any changes with the command

Code:
    zmprov
    This is what I'm doing: Logging on to the machine, not as root (because I'm using sudo) and then executing the command

Code:
    sudo su - zimbra
    to change my current Zimbra setup. So, because I want to run Apache parallelly, I decided to change

Code:
    zimbraMailPort
    to 81 as described in Provide HTTP(s) Integration with Apache - Zimbra :: Wiki. I'm running the following commands

Code:
    zmprov ms myserver.com zimbraMailPort 81
    and I do not get any error message, so I think everything worked fine. I'm restarting Zimbra with

Code:
    zmcontrol strop
    zmcontrol start
    If I check the configuration with

Code:
    zmprov gacf | grep zimbraMailPort
    it still says it uses port 80 for the webmail client and not 81 (as I actually configured).

I'm stuck with this for some hours now, I already read through the wiki and the forums. E.g. I also tried the commands of [SOLVED] Changing zimbraMailPort but when I grep the ports after restarting Zimbra also nothing changed. So maybe

Code:
    zmprov
    does not change anything at all?

Maybe it's important to mention that I firstly setted up Zimbra with another hostname (that did not have a correct MX record) and changed it afterwards with

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername -n hostname2
    Is it maybe better to reinstall Zimbra again with the second (and correct) hostname from start? Does this affect the functionality of zmprov in any case? Because actually

Code:
    zmcontrol status
    says everything is running...?! To be honest, I'm a bit confused.

I already had a look at [SOLVED] zmprov change ZimbraMailPort silently fails but there is actually no desciption about solving the problem and the post is already a bit old. So this didn't help but it seems the problem was the same (but I do not really understand what the primary author did to solve his problem).

Hopefully somebody's got an idea.

Thanks for your help!

Niklaas

Okay, there is an update: It seems zmprov does change the port (firstly, I did not recognize this because the Apache server was not configured in the right way, too) but

Code:
    zmprov gacf | grep zimbraMailPort
    does still show the old settings. This is actually an improvement but it would also be important to have a look at the real settings... Any idea?

Niklaas

I found out something new that might explain why zmproves changes the settings but does not show the change: If I type

Code:
    zmprov gs myserver.com| grep zimbraMailPort
    I get the right port number 81. So my question is:

What's the difference between the two commands "zmprov gacf" and "zmprov gs" and why do they show different settings? Is there something that needs to be fixed?

Thread Information