Thread: Proxmox (OpenVZ install)

mhammett is offline Special Member

Default Proxmox (OpenVZ install)

I've read a few different Proxmox (OpenVZ) related threads on here. I set it to 3072/3072 for the installation.

I am splitting up my Zimbra operation to 7 different servers (2 LDAP, 2 mailbox, 2 MTA, and 1 proxy). I don't have a high load on them at all.

My current server has an old AMD Athlon 32 bit on 1 gig of RAM and more than handles all web hosting, voice, email, etc. needs, so I'm not sure I really need 3 gigs of RAM allocated to one of the email servers. Well, until load increases. The "new" box has 4 gigs of RAM.

Further information from the Proxmox forum indicates that Java thinks it has access to all physical system RAM instead of the allocated RAM. The "fix" is to manually set the heap size in Java, but I'm concerned as to how to tell when this needs to be expanded as system load increases.

Also where to make this change. I keep seeing to add this or that tag, but no idea where to actually make the change.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The platform you're installing Zimbra on is unsupported but you're welcome to try some of the solutions in the forums: site:zimbra.com +"openvz" +wiki - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The platform you're installing Zimbra on is unsupported but you're welcome to try some of the solutions in the forums: site:zimbra.com +"openvz" +wiki - Yahoo! Search Results
    I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post and directing me to read the same things I've already read. I have found that I need to add certain tags, but no one ever says where to put them, just to add them.

Who uses Yahoo anymore? :-p

Quote Originally Posted by mhammett View Post
    I have found that I need to add certain tags, but no one ever says where to put them, just to add them.
    I might have answered if you had said what 'tags' you're talking about, I simply don't understand what you're asking. I assume you do understand what an unsupported platform is? It's basically, you're on your own and as far as I can see the first post in the link I gave you has further links to another page that gives you details of how to install ZImbra in your environment. Feel free to follow those instruction or not, it's your choice but it's not necessary to post snide comments in the forums.

Who uses Yahoo anymore? :-p
    What does Yahoo have to do with anything?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I might have answered if you had said what 'tags' you're talking about, I simply don't understand what you're asking. I assume you do understand what an unsupported platform is? It's basically, you're on your own and as far as I can see the first post in the link I gave you has further links to another page that gives you details of how to install ZImbra in your environment. Feel free to follow those instruction or not, it's your choice but it's not necessary to post snide comments in the forums.

What does Yahoo have to do with anything?
    -Xms and -Xmx to specify Java heap sizes when running Zimbra.

The Yahoo thing was a joke. Obviously 3 or 4 people still use it because they're still in business.

I do understand what unsupported is... I cannot pay Zimbra to fix it for me. However, that does not preclude me from asking the community for assistance or clarification on established methods.

I believe you were the first with the snide comments, responding with a link to a search page asking me to read forum threads on it when I clearly stated I had already done so.

dave_kempe is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

We use OpenVZ and find Zimbra runs just fine. You need to be careful with any JVM on zimbra as it has a habit of parsing /proc/meminfo to calculate '80%' of RAM or something like that. In general limiting the java heap sizes manually is the way to go.
    You should be able to figure out how to screw it down to a sensible percentage using zmlocalconfig:

zimbra@subserve:~$ zmlocalconfig zimbra_zmjava_options
    zimbra_zmjava_options = -Xmx256m
    zimbra@subserve:~$ zmlocalconfig mailboxd_java_heap_memory_percent
    mailboxd_java_heap_memory_percent = 40
    zimbra@subserve:~$

We are running a 32bit guest on a 64bit host OpenVZ box, and therefore the 40% makes sense for this particular guest. But you get the idea...
    http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au/hosting/zimbra/
    Australia's premier Zimbra Hosting Partner
    Resellers wanted!

I do understand what unsupported is... I cannot pay Zimbra to fix it for me.
    Actually that's not what it means. It means that Zimbra is not built for, tested on nor verified that it works in your intended environment. It also means you're likely to have problems installing it and getting it working.

However, that does not preclude me from asking the community for assistance or clarification on established methods.
    It certainly doesn't and your more than welcome to ask but the number of users with that environment, as you can probably see, is limited.

I believe you were the first with the snide comments, responding with a link to a search page asking me to read forum threads on it when I clearly stated I had already done so.
    Not being a mind reader I find it very difficult to tell from the comment 'I've read a few threads on here' what you've actually read and what you haven't, if you find me giving you a link the the relevant threads a snide comment that's fine by me. I'll leave you to it.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information