Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Send Email Through Outlook Client

Dan Rabideau is offline New Member

Default Cannot Send Email Through Outlook Client

Greetings,

I am rather new to zimbra. I am having an issue where I cannot send through an Outlook client. I can send through the webmail wihout any issues. The error I get from the log is the following...

Aug 15 22:38:41 dlnx-073 postfix/smtpd[21952]: connect from (removed).sip.asm.bellsouth.net[(removed)]
    Aug 15 22:38:42 dlnx-073 postfix/smtpd[21952]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from (removed).sip.asm.bellsouth.net[(removed)]: 554 <(Address Removed)>: Relay access denied; from=<(Address Removed)> to=<(Address Removed)> proto=SMTP helo=
    Aug 15 22:38:42 dlnx-073 postfix/smtpd[21952]: disconnect from (Address Removed).sip.asm.bellsouth.net[(Address Removed)]

In the Client I get a 554 Relay Access Denied.

I cannot find any errors anywhere else. POP into the box works, webmail in and out works, this has been driving me crazy all day.

I currently even have TLS disabled. I have tried sending through Outlook with both smtp authentication and without. I have also tried using both Outlook and Outlook express. I am baffled. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Dan Rabideau is offline New Member

Although noone replied, nevermind, I am going to look into migrating to Mail Enable.

Dan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rabideau
    Although noone replied, nevermind, I am going to look into migrating to Mail Enable.

Dan
    So a four hour wait for an answer to a problem with free software has put you off installing zimbra?

It might have helped if you had posted details about the version of Zimbtra and which o/s it's installed on. You could also have looked in bugzilla or searched the forums for some answers, did you do either of those?

Nevermind, I guess you didn't really want your questions answered.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-16-2006 at 03:51 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

keithop is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    So a four hour wait for an answer to a problem with free software has put you off installing zimbra?

It might have help if you had posted details about the version of Zimbtra and which o/s it's installed on. You could also have looked in bugzilla or searched the forums for some answers, did you do either of those?

Nevermind, I guess you didn't really want your questions answered.
    I have the same problem with a large customer on a dedicated zimbra server running Version 3.1.4_GA_518.RHEL4 26-Jun-2006

Users can send to addresses using the web client but using outlook they get relay denied.

I've followed some discussion on this being TLS (so I turned off TLS required) a few more discussions on SASL auth being the cause but then the threads got a bit confused with different problems.

So if there was a straightforward answer to his question, I'm willing to wait to read it

Thanks,
    Keith

I don't know about a straightforward answer but we can try.

How are the outlook users connecting to ZImbra, pop or imap? Have you tried creating a new outlook profile and see if that works? Can you turn on logging in outlook and thry the connection and attach the logs, don't forget to turn logging off again after the test. If you don't know how to turn the logs on here's a MS KB article that describes it (I've assumed you're using outlook 2002 or 2003).

What errors show in your /var/log/zimbra.log? Are these users on the LAN or connecting to zimbra from outside the LAN? Do you use any other pop or imap clients and do they work?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    I don't know about a straightforward answer but we can try.
    Fair comment

How are the outlook users connecting to ZImbra, pop or imap?
    imap

Have you tried creating a new outlook profile and see if that works?
    It's a new profile yep.

Can you turn on logging in outlook and thry the connection and attach the logs, don't forget to turn logging off again after the test. If you don't know how to turn the logs on here's a MS KB article that describes it (I've assumed you're using outlook 2002 or 2003).
    outlook 2003 and yep will turn on client side logging and see what we get

What errors show in your /var/log/zimbra.log? Are these users on the LAN or connecting to zimbra from outside the LAN? Do you use any other pop or imap clients and do they work?
    BIT difficult to put addresses out here because they're a client emailing other folks but basically the same as the other chap listed in this thread.... 554 relay access denied

They're all connecting from outside the LAN because we're a hosted provider

I'm told by the customer that it's just outlook

I'll get some client side logs off them and perhaps that'll help a bit more.

Thanks!
    Keith

Sorry, I forgot to add earlier that if you can just confirm that the outlook account is using the following config:

1. "This server requires a secure connection" is checked for Outgoing mail (you should already have checked the same button for Incoming mail, since you need a secure connection to read email from outside). The default ports chosen, 25 for outgoing and 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP) for incoming, will be fine.

2. The "Outgoing Server" has"My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" checked. The "Use same settings as by incoming mail server" radio button should be selected.
    Last edited by phoenix; 08-16-2006 at 04:21 AM.
    Regards

Bill

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

well looks like the first guy dan simply didn't turn on smtpauth, at least there's no sign of it in the logs.

outlook uses a somewhat proprietary (shock horror) auth protocol called login iirc that has to be specifically enabled in saslauth at compile time, but i would very much imagine zimbra does that! if it's *only* outlook that you're having the problem however this is worth investigating. it's possible a conflicting saslauth on the system might be borking things up.

rsharpe is offline Elite Member & Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by keithop
    I have the same problem with a large customer on a dedicated zimbra server running Version 3.1.4_GA_518.RHEL4 26-Jun-2006

Users can send to addresses using the web client but using outlook they get relay denied.

I've followed some discussion on this being TLS (so I turned off TLS required) a few more discussions on SASL auth being the cause but then the threads got a bit confused with different problems.

So if there was a straightforward answer to his question, I'm willing to wait to read it

Thanks,
    Keith
    If you are trying to send email from a different IP subnet than what your server is located on it will generate this Relay Access Denied error, you have two options to fix this:
    1. You can turn on SMTP AUTH.
    or
    2. You can add the IP network to the mynetworks postfix variable. This can be accomplished with the following command:
    zmprov mcf zimbraMyNetworks '127.0.0.0/16 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.10.0/24 172.16.0.0/16'

or something of that variation.

Thanks all! Quite a few suggestions to help there which I'll go through.

We're running a few zimbra servers, all hosted and all using auth.smtp but this is one particular client having a specific outlook problem so it may well just be some weird auth protocol as mentioned that needs tweaking.

Thanks again for the responses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Thread Information