Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Demo Admin interface

samkaya is offline Junior Member

Question [SOLVED] Demo Admin interface

We want to try different exchange alternatives and found zimbra one of the best solutions. We would like to try this package in order to decide if Zimbra is the best choice. Problem is that we don't use a linux server and there is no knowledge in our company regarding to a trial installation on linux. We've set up a vmware enviroment with ubuntu server but we're not able to install zimbra. We've looked at the demo version of zimbra desktop but that isn't what we need. We want to try zimbra by setting up a simple configuration with 5 mailboxes and shared calendars. Is there some way to experiment with administrator interface without installation of zimbra?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samkaya View Post
    Problem is that we don't use a linux server and there is no knowledge in our company regarding to a trial installation on linux. We've set up a vmware enviroment with ubuntu server but we're not able to install zimbra.
    Why, what problems are you having?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why, what problems are you having?
    I really don't know what to do, i've only managed to login to the ubuntu server, but don't know what to do in the terminal. Because i've launched ubuntu in vmware, i don't know how i can access the setup files of zimbra, which i've downloaded.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I really don't know what to do, i've only managed to login to the ubuntu server, but don't know what to do in the terminal. Because i've launched ubuntu in vmware, i don't know how i can access the setup files of zimbra, which i've downloaded.
    You really do need some experience of Linux to get Zimbra installed (it's not that difficult). Have you read the Quick Start Installation Guide? I'd suggest you have a read of that first, details of how to install Zimbra are on P13 (but you should read the whole document). You will also need a correctly configured /etc/hosts file and a Split DNS set-up if you're behind a NAT router (and you will be as you're in a VM).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I have read the quick installation guide, but i don't know know what to do in the terminal. Basically we're going to hire someone who will install zimbra, because the lack of linux experience in our company. So I can't experiment with the admin interface without installing zimbra on a linux server?

yonatan is offline Special Member

I have read the quick installation guide, but i don't know know what to do in the terminal. Basically we're going to hire someone who will install zimbra, because the lack of linux experience in our company. So I can't experiment with the admin interface without installing zimbra on a linux server?
    I'm very new to Zimbra myself, but I am quite familiar with VMware vSphere ESXi. What about deploying Zimbra's new Virtual Appliance. They are going to release the final appliance later this year, but they have a 15 day trial available which I think you can get up and running very quickly without any Linux knowledge.

Here's the link: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/dir...19443/download

The instructions are here:
    http://www.vmware.com/appliances/dir...9443/resources

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    I'm very new to Zimbra myself, but I am quite familiar with VMware vSphere ESXi. What about deploying Zimbra's new Virtual Appliance. They are going to release the final appliance later this year, but they have a 15 day trial available which I think you can get up and running very quickly without any Linux knowledge.

Here's the link: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/dir...19443/download

The instructions are here:
    http://www.vmware.com/appliances/dir...9443/resources

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your recommendation. I will download the zimbra trial and keep you updated. But which version of vmware do i need to download? vSphere or ESXi, check: http://www.vmware.com/products/
    Last edited by samkaya; 05-27-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks for your recommendation. I will download the zimbra trial and keep you updated. But which version of vmware do i need to download? vSphere or ESXi, check: http://www.vmware.com/products/
    In your first post you said that you already had a VMware environment setup! What are you currently using VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation?

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    In your first post you said that you already had a VMware environment setup! What are you currently using VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation?
    Workstation

Workstation
    Ok, that's fine! You can use Workstation to get Zimbra's Appliance up and running and then do some testing. However, I don't advise you to use this setup for production use. For production use I suggest you go with VMware ESXi which is a hypervisor that runs on server hardware. It's free and very powerful.

Anyway back to Workstation. Download the "Hosted Virtual Machine Disk Format (VMDK)" file and follow the instructions in the following PDF:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/dir..._setup_doc.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information