Thread: Upgrade Ubuntu 6.06 32bit to 8.04 64bit

yumcimil is offline Junior Member

Default Upgrade Ubuntu 6.06 32bit to 8.04 64bit

Hi,

We've got a current network edition deployment running on Ubuntu 6.06 32bit, and we'd like to get it up to Ubuntu 8.04 64bit. What's the recommended path for this? Is it possible to just follow the 32 to 64 bit instructions on the wiki, or do I need to do it in a two-step process? If so, what's the process for performing a dist-upgrade of Zimbra and the OS?

Cheers,
    Josh

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

To be honest, I find the 32-to-64 bit migration to be a pain, and there is a lot of room for error with all of the steps involved.

What I would recommend is installing a new server as the 8.04-64bit server and add it in as though it is a multi-server setup, and then do a mailbox move for all of the accounts from the old server to the new server. Once everything is moved over, you can then promote the new server to be the LDAP primary (there's a wiki entry with this process, its pretty painless), make sure that the new server is the logger and the MTA, and then just flip off the original old server. Less downtime for your users that way, anyways - and like I said earlier, less room for error.

yumcimil is offline Junior Member

That's an awesomely excellent idea. 10 points. Will report back.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

I recently went 32-to-64 bit on NE and OSS by doing this (didn't upgrade versions, but it shouldn't be any different). OSS was tricker because it lacks the account move process. Otherwise it was flawless.

Have the multi-server guide handy, as my only problems stemmed from not following ALL of the instructions.

mowglie is offline Active Member

i'd like to do a version of this too (move from single server 5.0.11 on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit to 6.0.8 on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit). questions (links to appropriate docs are fine):

1. how do you add a server in as though its is a multi-server setup if i only have a single server setup currently? can i do this if the 2 servers have diff OS versions, ZCS versions, and arch types?
    2. or should i install 6.0.8 on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on the 2nd server or do i have to stair step the migration (one change at a time or something)?
    2. can i move all data (mail, addressbook, briefcase, calendar, user preferences, global preferences, etc)? or only the mail?
    3. how do i move the data btwn servers if i'm using only FOSS versions?
    4. how & when in the steps do i make the new server the logger and the MTA?
    5. at what points in the process do i need to stop services on old server so that i dont lose any data/email/etc during migration? (trying to determine at what points there will be downtime)

thanx! and even partial answers are immensely invited & appreciated.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mowglie View Post
    i'd like to do a version of this too (move from single server 5.0.11 on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit to 6.0.8 on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit). questions (links to appropriate docs are fine):

1. how do you add a server in as though its is a multi-server setup if i only have a single server setup currently? can i do this if the 2 servers have diff OS versions, ZCS versions, and arch types?
    2. or should i install 6.0.8 on ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on the 2nd server or do i have to stair step the migration (one change at a time or something)?
    2. can i move all data (mail, addressbook, briefcase, calendar, user preferences, global preferences, etc)? or only the mail?
    3. how do i move the data btwn servers if i'm using only FOSS versions?
    4. how & when in the steps do i make the new server the logger and the MTA?
    5. at what points in the process do i need to stop services on old server so that i dont lose any data/email/etc during migration? (trying to determine at what points there will be downtime)

thanx! and even partial answers are immensely invited & appreciated.
    All those questions have been answered previously in the forums (you can also look in the wiki & blog for further backup & migration articles), start with these threads: site:zimbra.com +migrate +"new server" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mowglie is offline Active Member

phoenix thank you, that link led me to what i think is the smoothest way for me to do this: Debo-Notes - Zimbra :: Wiki

before i fully undertake the 4 steps in the link, can you tell me why #4 is required? wouldnt i want to retain all mysql user data after importing instead of deleting it? i searched to no avail. i'm sure the author is right; i just want to learn why its right (so i better understand zcs!).

secondly, what all do i have to do to "Delete user@example.com MySQL records"? i searched for that too but all the results appeared to delete a lot more than i'm supposed to.

thanx!!!

Thread Information