Thread: Non-Zimbra MTA to be used?

i2ambler is offline Special Member

Default Non-Zimbra MTA to be used?

I was wondering if there is a way to use a non-zimbra mta for all internal zimbra mail routing? Basically, I would like to use the zimbra ldap and store - but dont want to use the built in MTA. Can I do this? How could I configure it? Will this work with the mapi connector?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by i2ambler View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to use a non-zimbra mta for all internal zimbra mail routing? Basically, I would like to use the zimbra ldap and store - but dont want to use the built in MTA. Can I do this? How could I configure it? Will this work with the mapi connector?
    No, that will not work. Zimbra Collaboration Suite is a complete package and must be installed as such, you cannot mix & match with other products. Have I misunderstood the question? What exactly are you trying to do?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Im trying to use a more robust MTA that has real policy management instead of the postfix mta for internal mail routing. Why would an external mta not work, if it supports lmtp and ldap lookups?

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

what kind of "policy" management are you trying to implement..you can integrate POLICYD (http://policyd.orf) very easily with zimbra MTA (i.e: postfix)
    unless you have some more complicated stuff you asking for ?

* not to start a flame..but i have yet to see more configurable and robust MTA than postfix..it does what it suppose to better than any.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Im not going to argue with whats better than what.. However, we use sentrion appliances with voltage encryption and cloudmark. These use mailstream manager for policy, and we would rather not have two places for policy management. Here we can cluster both edge and internal mtas for centralized management on one admin console for all things mta related.
    Last edited by i2ambler; 05-14-2010 at 11:47 AM.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

ok so what i understand is you want to your own EDGE MTA (i.e: sentrion) and OUTGOINNG GATEWAY but only want to use Zimbra as message store and user repository
    if that right ?
    i dont see any problme with that as you still will need to pass email to Zimbra all you need to do is pool in the user using LDAP on your edge MTA or gateway and also Auth agaist Zimbra LDAP.
    all this is possible i dont think so you will find 1 wiki articale to do it..but you have to try it yourself buy reading upon bunch of stuff.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Im going to have 2 edge servers on the dmz, and 2 internal routing mtas (also sentrions). I will have zimbra as a message (calendar, active/sync, etc) store). We will be getting the gal and authentication from active directory. I just tested with zimbra using a sentrion to pass internal mail, and it seemed to work fine. We have some pro services from sentrion and zimbra that I guess I will use up on this.

uxbod is offline Moderator

I run a separate, non Zimbra, MTA on my perimeter in combination with MailScanner. Admittedly it is using Postfix underneath but a good starting pointing would be to look at /opt/zimbra/conf/ldap-*.cf as they will provide the necessary LDAP queries for binding and checking domains, users etc within Zimbra.

mostly seems to be looking for the address and if its enabled or not.

Thread Information