Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending mail slow.

porkchop85 is offline Member

Default Sending mail slow.

Hi everyone I have used the search to find my problem but did not get it fixed.

I have a brand new Dell R710 running 6 servers including my zimbra server running on Ubuntu 8.04 64bit.

I have Zimbra 6.06

My problem is when I hit send in the webmail it takes on average 15 to 20 seconds for the message to send. The browser locks up during this time as well. There are no users running on the server we are just testing now.

In vsphere the only problem I see is the cpu chart looks like a heart beat lots of spikes. These are constant and don't seem to be based on usage.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

Have you allocated a physical CPU to the Zimbra server or VCPUs ? How much memory is allocated ?

We allocated 2 Vcpus with full shares and allowcated 4 GBs of memory. Do you think it is because of the VCPUs?

uxbod is offline Moderator

Search the forums for "vmware vcpu" I do not really know VSphere apart from seeing a recent post about how best to set it up with Zimbra and CPU allocation. Sorry

soxfan is offline Moderator

Could you be running into the logger problem described here and here?

FYI... we just migrated our Zimbra installation over to a VM environment over the weekend and the setup sounds pretty similar to yours; 2 VCPU's, 4 GB of memory, vSphere 4. Haven't gotten any complaints of slow sending (or slow anything) and I haven't noticed any issues myself either.

I did disable the logger and that didn't seem to help. In your opinion am I better off running Zimbra natively? We will be hosting around 1500 accounts with the software after migration from exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Could you be running into the logger problem described here and here?

FYI... we just migrated our Zimbra installation over to a VM environment over the weekend and the setup sounds pretty similar to yours; 2 VCPU's, 4 GB of memory, vSphere 4. Haven't gotten any complaints of slow sending (or slow anything) and I haven't noticed any issues myself either.

Soxfan did you have to disable the logger?

I did disable the logger and that didn't seem to help. In your opinion am I better off running Zimbra natively? We will be hosting around 1500 accounts with the software after migration from exchange.
    Did the CPU spikes at least go away after you disabled the logger? Are you seeing anything in the logs when you try to send?

I might not be the best person to answer your question about running Zimbra natively. We had been running Zimbra on a physical machine for a few years now, with no real performance issues to speak of. However, as I mentioned we just migrated to the VM environment, so I'm certainly hoping that it will run fine here as well. We only have a couple of hundred users though.

I know there are several people on these forums that run Zimbra in a virtual environment, but I'm not sure what their environments are like (number of users, CPU, memory, etc.). Now that VMware owns Zimbra you would certainly think one of their goals is to have it work fine under the VM environment.

Soxfan did you have to disable the logger?
    I didn't disable the logger totally. I went with the config changes that Raj suggested in the first post that I quoted.

When I disabled the logger my cpu spikes went from spiking at 45 to 50 percent to around 30 percent.

My logs are clean no errors it sends and recieves perfectly it just takes (in the users mind) a while to send.

I don't see a spike when the user tries to send a message either. It feels like the browser is waiting for something and gets a response 20 seconds later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information