Thread: How to add a second web interface?

seko777 is offline Member

Question How to add a second web interface?

Hi folks,

I have a standard ZCS install runing everything on one server (Mailbox, LDAP, SNMP, etc) and it`s working perfectly.

Now, i want to add a second web-interface, running on another machine to this installation, because java/jetty are using too much processor and memory as my users are growing using more Zimbra Web Interface and less Outlook :]

I have read the documentation about "multi-server installation" but it is not clear to me.

Do i only need to install the zimbra-apache module on the new server and set up username/password/host for the ldap and MTA running at my existing server?

Thaks in advance!

Diego Barrios.

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

You will probably want to add another mailbox server, and move half of your users accounts to the new mailbox server.

Are you saying that is not possible to have more than one web interface (webmail) to the same mailbox/ldap server ?

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

If the existing webmail is using a majority of the CPU, I don't see how having a second one on the same server would make things any better..

Also, if it is possible to add a second mailbox server instance on a server (which I don't think it is), it's not something Zimbra supports.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Think this just got worded wrong, sounds like he wants to do the following multi-server setup:
    Server 1: LDAP, MTA, Store, Logger
    Server 2: Store

To explain a bit: The mail Store is commonly referenced as Mailboxd = Jetty + MySQL + Lucene + etc > to provides services from http/imap/pop/caldav/carddav/webdav/activesync/mapi to even bundling in a bare wildfire xmpp server currently). The apache referred to in the installation prompts is used for the web-client's aspell checker. (Convertd package now also makes use of it.)

Organization dependent of course, but you could also consider putting the MTA separate:
    S1: LDAP, Store
    S2: MTA

If you've studied your zmstats and know what you want go for it - though we could probably offer some advice from experience if you provided the number of users, server/vm specs (cpu/mem/disk speeds, utilization etc), and typical mail traffic statistics.

Who knows, maybe your trying to support X number of heavy users on too little ram, and adding more would be enough of a boost on it's own. Or you could have TB's of data and want to expand that by adding more on machine storage rather than mounted anyways. Or you already know that the box is underpowered cpu wise, so adding another vs migrating to just one more powerful. Hard drive IOPS, connections you can support, etc, etc.

Nginx Proxy for HTTP/IMAP/POP is up to you (among other things it helps if users can't remember another address like mail2.domain.com; though the web-client can do some basic redirect after auth, might still want it for thick-clients). A second MTA package or LDAP replica is likely overkill, unless this setup is extremely distributed across the globe where traffic can be an issue. But again all company specific, there's nothing stopping you from running mixes like:
    S1: LDAP, MTA, Store, Logger, Proxy
    S2: MTA, Store

Table of Contents :: Multi-Server Guide :: ZCS

Baylink is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by seko777 View Post
    Are you saying that is not possible to have more than one web interface (webmail) to the same mailbox/ldap server ?
    It's often unclear to Zimbra newbies that "mailbox" refers to the machine that runs the webmail service; the server service that provides webmail is zmmailboxd.

It's not clear to *me* whether that daemon actually handles the mailstore (y'know: the "mailboxes"? :-) precisely because I know that it supplies ZWC.

There is a bit of a dearth of "real" administrator documentation, IMHO; I'm hoping they work on that a bit.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    If the existing webmail is using a majority of the CPU, I don't see how having a second one on the same server would make things any better..
    It is not on the same server Krishopper, i want to know how to have a multiserver installation acros two diferent servers, but use the web interface on both (of course one of them will reside all the other stuff)

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Think this just got worded wrong, sounds like he wants to do the following multi-server setup:
    Server 1: LDAP, MTA, Store, Logger
    Server 2: Store

To explain a bit: The mail Store is commonly referenced as Mailboxd = Jetty + MySQL + Lucene + etc > to provides services from http/imap/pop/caldav/carddav/webdav/activesync/mapi to even bundling in a bare wildfire xmpp server currently). The apache referred to in the installation prompts is used for the web-client's aspell checker. (Convertd package now also makes use of it.)
    THANK YOU mmorse, now it`s clear to me, i fact i need a second Store, another mailboxd if the Jetty and web client are inside this package of Zimbra.

Regards,

Diego Barrios.

Thread Information