Thread: Question for zimbra multi-server installation

handsprice is offline Active Member

Default Question for zimbra multi-server installation

I got few question need to ask, hope you guys can assists

1, Do Open source edition support zimbra cluster for RHEL5?
    2, If i configure zimbra ldap to sync with AD, in future i need add user from AD or from zimbra LDAP?

thanks

odeleon is offline Advanced Member

1.- No.

2.- Are you really syncing? or are you delegating the authentication tasks to AD?

...if the latter, then you need to create user accounts in both directories either manually or in a programmed manner. I think there are some scripts that check for differences betweeen the "external" directory and the one inside ZCS and create new accounts based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by odeleon View Post
    1.- No.

2.- Are you really syncing? or are you delegating the authentication tasks to AD?

...if the latter, then you need to create user accounts in both directories either manually or in a programmed manner. I think there are some scripts that check for differences betweeen the "external" directory and the one inside ZCS and create new accounts based on that.
    Thanks for your reply, acyually i want to delegating the authendication tasks to AD, so what should i do ?

The first solution that comes to mind is to have "someone" manually create the account in both places (MSAD and ZCS).

There's an ongoing thread regarding the subject and there's also a bug filed, that you can vote for.

Another option is to find a way for a script/program/cron job to ask MSAD to show you changes made in the past X periods-of-time and create new ZCS accounts based on that via zmprov or otherwise. Tell your users "accounts take up to H hours to fully activate in our systems"...if that's feasable.

Or you can look into tools like Novell's Identity Manager or Sun's (er, Oracle) Identity Manager that would create the account in both places for you.

Thanks for your reply odeleon, here is my last question, do open source edition support backup & restore for individual email account or it is possible to do so? and from your opinion, which free version of linux os(fedora,ubintu or etc) you prefer to install open source zimbra?
    thanks

There some backup/restore procedures for ZCS Community Edition, you can find them in the wiki under Open Source Edition Backup Procedure. I've never used them myself and perhaps someone else can answer this better, but I think that you can't get to individual accounts because of the way ZCS stores the messages metadata in the MySQL database and the messages themselves in MIME files.

As to what distro to use. I've always used Fedora but that's because it's the one I use most often. You should use whichever distro you feel comfortable with and the one that fits your lab or production environment best.

Thread Information