Thread: Question about Zimbra Asterisk and Wildfire on the same server

diablo_bsd is offline New Member

Question Question about Zimbra Asterisk and Wildfire on the same server

I expose my problem my manager ask me to install and setting as soon as possible a demonstration server, where zimbra, astersik and wildfire will be run on the same server.
    but the probleme is asterisk need mysql, phpmyadmin and apache like zimbra .
    Does zimbra can use the package already install without installing the mysql and apache in /opt/zimbra .

I have 2 question first :

first question:

I read on the documentation of zimbra that it is advised to stop all the process for which will zimbra needed to make a correctly installation.
    The problem is, I have already asterisk running on this server in realtime mode with apache, php4, phpmyadmin and mysql-server so can I install zimbra on top without broke the setting of asterisk if I stop all process of asterisk for make the installation of zimbra or it is necessary that I install first zimbra to make an installation correctly and after asterisk and use the process apache and mysql of zimbra for the realtime mode for astersik and add php4 and phpmyadmin on top does it possible ????.

Second question:

And if I can use the mysql and apache of zimbra, I'll need to reset the root password of mysql, so does zimbra will running again after if i do
    #mysqladmin -u root password 'NewPassword'

Thank you for all your help , I really need somes answer :-))

Cordially
    Diablo_BSD

Dirk is offline Moderator

It can be done, as Zimbra keeps it's apache, myslq etc held within /opt/zimbra then they should be out of the way of other versions. Then it's just a case of ensuring there's no port colisions.

If you really need it on the one box, then consider using virtualisation, it's cheating but it has to be easier!

KevinH is offline Expert Member

The only supported way to install things along side of Zimbra. You can and folks have reused our MySQL etc, but it's not recommended.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

gcarter is offline Member

Default Virtualization

MMmmmm, depends.

I would ask yourself:

1) How many Asterisk users will I have?

I have a HP ML370 3.2Gig machine, and I am supporting 80 phones right now off a gig backplane.

It is only running asterisk.

Load ave right now is 2.30-5.60 depending on the time of day according to NAGIOS. I wouldn't want to put more users on this machine.

Take that with a grain of salt.

ML370 HP's are very nice machines by the way.

2) What sort of network am I connecting the Zimbra server too compared to your asterisk user requirements?

I cannot emphasize, how important #2 is. Any delay at the ethernet interface will result in bad voice quality.

Minimally, in a virtualization environment as a person suggested here, I would use tc/iptables to ensure the virtual process running asterisk ALWAYS has the bandwidth to manage calls.

If you isolate the box, you don't have to worry about the server end of the VoiceIP question.

3) I do not like what you are trying to do personally, as I think you are inferring that Zimbra will act as a internet server.....(i.e. packets will be port forwarded to it, or it will be directly connected to the internet.)

I believe Linux is up to the task to do this, securely, but the configuration requirements are not for the faint of heart and the quality of your administration procedures will have to be rock solid to protect the box from human error should your administrator do something dumb like mine did the other day.

:-)

Bad. Very bad implications. See #4 below...

4) Do not forget too, there is a compromise. It is easier to admin one box from a infrastructure stand point, but you put a LOT of eggs in one basket beuilding servers that are overly scaled vertically. (i.e. lots of cores in a single box, with lots of services running on them.)

I am a horizontal man myself. I find that the pain of lots of servers in admin headaches easily makes up for the fact I won't have my Email AND my PHONE AND whatever else you put on that machine down ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Then there is upgrades.....sorta painful to have the box down for any length of time to do maint or upgrades. Lots of services down just to install more memory for example.

When the heck are they going to design memory like a USB drive, so I can just plug it in and go?

Woops....I will have to forward that one to HP. :-)

Just my thoughts....

-gc

john99 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post

Load ave right now is 2.30-5.60 depending on the time of day according to NAGIOS. I wouldn't want to put more users on this machine.

-gc

Hi gcarter,

did you wrote a NAGIOS module for Zimbra?

John

gcarter is offline Member

Default Module for NAGIOS

I write lots of modules for NAGIOS.

Zimbra already has stats and related informational graphs it can draw on mail, virus and other sorts of volumes in the web management interface.

Did you have a part of Zimbra in mind you wanted monitored?

-gc

KLGNT is offline Intermediate Member

Default NAGIOS module for Zimbra?

Did anything ever come of this?

I'd love to see a NAGIOS module for Zimbra.
    I'd like to monitor the output from zmcontrol status (ie is everything running?), and I wouldn't mind seeing the output from the server status graphs as well (messages, spam count, virus count etc.). Maybe even the top (x) number of quota users.

MeneM is offline Active Member

If you really want to have it, you should file a feature request.

Still, it would not bring anything to Zimbra, it would bring something to nagios. It would only indirectly help Zimbra, as it will be monitored. And Nagios is the number one monitoring tool.

Thread Information