Thread: User Migration / Account / Password Question

nexus is offline Member

Default User Migration / Account / Password Question

This might actually be a feature request, I'm not sure yet.

Yes I know how to use search and I already looked for an answer so please don't flame me on my first post if this is a seemingly obvious answer to you. LOL

I have an existing qmail mail server utilizing virtualized domains and users using vpopmail. I hate it. So Zimbra is on the table as a solution to replace it and if things go well I'll be able to sell management on the idea of ponying up for the licensed version in a month or two.

What I'm looking for is a facility that I create the users and then the first time the users mail client connects to check for mail the server will take the supplied password and set the account password to what is provided. I used something like this when moving some users to another system a while ago and it made the migration so simple in terms of hassling with passwords.

Most users employ pop at present but I'm pushing towards IMAP with the deployment of zimbra. So I dont have all that much mail to deal with moving. The big hassle is going to be user accounts and passwords.

Any input from anyone who has been through this already? For what its worth my qmail server is based on the qmailrocks.org build out.

Thanks.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Currently, I don't think there is a way.
    I always just set everyone's password to the same thing and require them to change it upon logon.

If you prefer to use the method that you mentioned, it would be a good idea to file a feature request in bugzilla.

Good Luck!
    jh
    PS-This is a no flaming zone!
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    This might actually be a feature request, I'm not sure yet.

Yes I know how to use search and I already looked for an answer so please don't flame me on my first post if this is a seemingly obvious answer to you. LOL

I have an existing qmail mail server utilizing virtualized domains and users using vpopmail. I hate it. So Zimbra is on the table as a solution to replace it and if things go well I'll be able to sell management on the idea of ponying up for the licensed version in a month or two.

What I'm looking for is a facility that I create the users and then the first time the users mail client connects to check for mail the server will take the supplied password and set the account password to what is provided. I used something like this when moving some users to another system a while ago and it made the migration so simple in terms of hassling with passwords.

Most users employ pop at present but I'm pushing towards IMAP with the deployment of zimbra. So I dont have all that much mail to deal with moving. The big hassle is going to be user accounts and passwords.

Any input from anyone who has been through this already? For what its worth my qmail server is based on the qmailrocks.org build out.

Thanks.

Thread Information