Thread: HA: merging two mailstores in one server on failure?

diegows is offline Member

Default HA: merging two mailstores in one server on failure?

Hi.

I'm building a Zimbra multi-server installation with 2 stores (using a SAN), 2 ldaps, 2 mta and 2 proxies. Each store has its owns sets of accounts (namespace splitted between servers). The HA of ldap, mta and proxies is easy and it's solved but store HA is a little complex.

Is there a way to merge all the accounts in one server on a node failure and restore them to the original place on failback? I know that I could have a third server as standby/backup of any mailstore but I don't want to have an idle server.

Baylink is offline Elite Member

My snap reaction is that you have to handle HA on a server by server basis, and yes, you'll need at least one idle spare server (assuming you're doing something like container based HA; if you're doing heartbeat failover, one spare per server).

HA ain't cheap; that's one reason why "real" HA is so rare.

Last time I looked into this, back in '92 with Motorola 88K based commercial HA servers, it was the difference between $6k and something like $44k.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

diegows is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    My snap reaction is that you have to handle HA on a server by server basis, and yes, you'll need at least one idle spare server (assuming you're doing something like container based HA; if you're doing heartbeat failover, one spare per server).

HA ain't cheap; that's one reason why "real" HA is so rare.

Last time I looked into this, back in '92 with Motorola 88K based commercial HA servers, it was the difference between $6k and something like $44k.
    ok, but what about merging all accounts in one server. It's impossible? I need to modify all account objects if I want something like that?

Baylink is offline Elite Member

I'm sure you could merge all your accounts into one server... but not at failure time, I wouldn't think.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Thread Information