Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra and Cell carrier BES

mikeyes is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra and Cell carrier BES

We currently have a Zimbra Network Edition server. Our cell carrier is phasing out all of their windows mobile phones and we are being forced to look at Blackberry phones.

I understand the whole BES/Exchange setup and architecture.

If I do not want to run a BES server locally (small company and expense of maintaining another server) the carrier has offered to provide BES services via their shared BES server for a monthly fee. Since I have not use the Zimbra Mobile Connector before my question is:

Does the Zimbra Mobile Connector software go on the Zimbra server or the BES Server? If it loads on the Zimbra server can I use it with a third party BES server (the cell carriers BES server) or are there special modifications that have to happen to the BES server?

Second question. Has anyone here use AstraSync to bypass the BES server and were your experiences good or bad?

Thanks,

uxbod is offline Moderator

We are in the process of trying AstraSync. Zimbra Mobile is activated on your ZCS installation. Does your carrier have a BIS server as you could use that quite happily with Zimbra Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    We are in the process of trying AstraSync. Zimbra Mobile is activated on your ZCS installation. Does your carrier have a BIS server as you could use that quite happily with Zimbra Mobile.
    The cell carrier actually has a full BES enterprise server that they can set us up on. If the Zimbra BB plugin is loaded on my Zimbra server then I might be able to tie the two together.

Let me know how you like AstraSync.

Thanks.

quietas is offline Elite Member

I've talked to the guys who make NotifySync and given it a try. That one works quite well also. It's a great option if you only have a few BB users like we do.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    I've talked to the guys who make NotifySync and given it a try. That one works quite well also. It's a great option if you only have a few BB users like we do.
    Thanks. We might demo AstraSync and NotifySync then and see how they work.

uxbod is offline Moderator

We are having a few issues with AstraSync due to using a BB 8700. We are in contact with their tech support; so once sorted full testing should start. On a personal note my iPhone worked first time with Zimbra Mobile

quietas is offline Elite Member

I too use my iPhone and it works spectacular. With Astrasync is that a softwar component you run on the BB itself? The price is much better than Notifysync.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Quote Originally Posted by quietas View Post
    I too use my iPhone and it works spectacular. With Astrasync is that a softwar component you run on the BB itself? The price is much better than Notifysync.
    From what I can tell on their website it is a piece of software that your run on the BB and can emulate activesync connections. According to the website you can avoid having a BES server and simply use a BIS connection to sync email, contacts, calendar etc.

NotifyTechnology is offline Starter Member

Mikeyes, Have you looked at NotifySync?

We will evaluate both pieces of software. Astrasync is cheaper so if it works ok we will probably use it. Does NotifySync offer a demo of their software?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information