Thread: [SOLVED] Debian 5 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - advice / opinions

sem
    sem is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] Debian 5 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - advice / opinions

Hi. Had a custom hardware running Debian 5 for 70 days in testing running 6.0.2/6.0.3 and it was perfect. Needed configs changing when moving to a client site and got screwed so rebuilt the os from scratch and installed lated 6.0.4. All seemed ok (this was 2nd Feb 2010) but machine has proved unstable - nothing like the original build. Upgraded to 6.0.5 yesterday rebooted the server and services failed. Turned out iptables had gone bad randomly denying traffic and killing dns. 6.0.5 also gives "no such mount point" errors in the web client and stats go stale within 24 hour period. It just seems a bit of a dog and client has lost a little confidence in zimbra -

question is, i'm going to rebuild the server clean and perhaps reinstall 6.0.2/6.0.3 leave it a few weeks in situ and see what happens. Would I be better staying with debian 5 or going Ubuntu 8.04 LTS? I see that debian 5 isn't on the zimbra network edition supported list - should this worry me? And is the server falling over and the 6.0.5 upgrade coincidence?

thanks, sem

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sem View Post
    Would I be better staying with debian 5 or going Ubuntu 8.04 LTS? I see that debian 5 isn't on the zimbra network edition supported list - should this worry me?
    You should only install NE on a supported platform, if you don't do that you will invalidate your support for Zimbra. I'd also suggest you do not have any firewall of AppArmor install or active on the server and your Zimbra server should, of course, be protected behind a firewall.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

sem

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should only install NE on a supported platform, if you don't do that you will invalidate your support for Zimbra. I'd also suggest you do not have any firewall of AppArmor install or active on the server and your Zimbra server should, of course, be protected behind a firewall.
    Hi sorry - i typed this a bit late. My point is, I checked the community edition and Debian 5 is supported with a build. But not so with the Network edition. I'd only be using the community edition for the foreseeable future and wondered whether I'd be better off sticking with an OS that is supported by both product variants. For instance, is the community edition produced by zimbra themselves for NE supported platforms or are all community builds done by the community?

The machine is behind a firewall but I'd had a comprehensive iptables setup running flawlessly for some time - until a couple of days ago - I hear what you're saying though.

sem

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

All the builds of Zimbra on the downloads page are built and verified by Zimbra for the specific platforms they're available for. The specific distribution is your choice, there are procedures for moving from one distribution to another but it's obviously less trouble to use a supported platform in the first place.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

sem

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    All the builds of Zimbra on the downloads page are built and verified by Zimbra for the specific platforms they're available for.
    That's great - thanks for the clarification on that and it makes my choice easier - Ubuntu 8.04 LTS it is then.

Thanks again.

sem

Went for 64bit Ubuntu 8.04 last week. Have the server set up with split domain and is handling all inbound and outbound mail at the moment forwarding non local accounts to the current sendmail box. Working really well at the moment. Has not yet shown any of the issues I had with the debain build (stale stats, mount point errors in front end and intermittant sending of daily reports). Will migrate users when happy that server is stable.

sem

Thread Information