Thread: open source edition and archiving & discovery

inception is offline Starter Member

Default open source edition and archiving & discovery

Hello,

I am not 100% sure if I am in the right place or if this question has already been answered, but I am wondering if the archiving and discovery (ZAD) works on the open source version of this software.

If it doesn't do I have any workable alternatives to archive all incoming and outgoing mail on the server per government requirements?

We are a small city government looking for some type of solution so I am trying to incorporate it into an open source installation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Klug is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

ZAD only works with ZCS NE (as backup, HSM, mobile sync or attachement indexing). Actually, ZAD is a Network Edition option.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by inception View Post
    Hello,

I am not 100% sure if I am in the right place or if this question has already been answered, but I am wondering if the archiving and discovery (ZAD) works on the open source version of this software.

If it doesn't do I have any workable alternatives to archive all incoming and outgoing mail on the server per government requirements?

We are a small city government looking for some type of solution so I am trying to incorporate it into an open source installation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Zimbra's MTA is Postfix, and you can modify the Zimbra-supplied Postfix configs to take advantage of Postfix's "always_bcc" parameter.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

I'm on the other side of the ocean but I don't know if the always_bcc solution is enough for "government requirements"...

Don't they need to be able to "see" the draft folders?

The OP reports he is a "small city government".

Local municipalities here are not always required to be FIPS etc. compliant. If they are a party to Federal/State programs providing $$ to the municipality, then they have to meet the record-keeping requirements of the grant.

Curious if the councillors of the 16eme arrondissement are required to treat their email in the same way that, say, François Fillon must?

All the best,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Curious if the councillors of the 16eme arrondissement are required to treat their email in the same way that, say, François Fillon must?
    Currently, no official rules for city councils...
    Some are using ZAD but it's not mandatory.

Then each government agency (or ministry) has its own rules...

As you say, I guess the prime minitry office uses such a tool.
    But not even sure 8)

French politicians (and government) have a long standing history of "keeping things secrets" to citizen (so no logging or ZAD just in case someone finds out)...

You (as citizen) can go to any swedish ministry and ask for "how much did the minister spent last week while he was in Paris for an official meeting" and you'll get an answer (precise spending sheet).
    Or ask for the correspondance between a swedish minister and french minister and you'll get it.

Try this in France, you'll get a "no it's not your business" and if you keep on looking for answer, you might end up in the police station...

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Currently, no official rules for city councils...
    Some are using ZAD but it's not mandatory.

Then each government agency (or ministry) has its own rules...

As you say, I guess the prime minitry office uses such a tool.
    But not even sure 8)

French politicians (and government) have a long standing history of "keeping things secrets" to citizen (so no logging or ZAD just in case someone finds out)...

You (as citizen) can go to any swedish ministry and ask for "how much did the minister spent last week while he was in Paris for an official meeting" and you'll get an answer (precise spending sheet).
    Or ask for the correspondance between a swedish minister and french minister and you'll get it.

Try this in France, you'll get a "no it's not your business" and if you keep on looking for answer, you might end up in the police station...
    So then, Swedish Ministers just lie on the forms when spending money taking their mistress out to dinner and French Ministers just do away with the paperwork entirely? The French way sounds much more efficient...

Here in the U.S. such expenses are often deducted for tax purposes. That would be interesting in France if you could do away with the paperwork and get a tax deduction too!

All the best,
    Mark

inception is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    I'm on the other side of the ocean but I don't know if the always_bcc solution is enough for "government requirements"...

Don't they need to be able to "see" the draft folders?
    will this auto BCC cover both incoming and outgoing messages?

I do not believe drafts are required for public records requests, but I may have to check with our city attorney.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

I call it poor mans's archiving..(someone who cannot spend money on NE) and wants ALL in and OUT copy...someting is better than nothing

Zimbra and Hold Litigation

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Quote Originally Posted by inception View Post
    will this auto BCC cover both incoming and outgoing messages?
    Yes.

Essentially, Postifx is just an MTA (Mail Transport Agent). Postfix actually doesn't distinguish between inbound and outbound mail at all. Mail comes in from wherever, however and Postfix applies rules to determine to where the mail should be transported. The final destination could a Zimbra mailbox server, a local mail spool file, or a foreign server listed as the MX for a particular domain.

On the front end, Postfix makes no distinction between email that arrives on port 7025 via LMTP from another Zimbra server or email that arrives on port 25 from a remote email server.

All Postfix does do, in addition to figuring out where these emails left at its front door should go, is to apply some filtering rules (some of which are anti-spam), and to hand the mail off to amavis (on port 10024) for further checking before accepting the email back from amavis (on port 10025) before sending the email off to its final destination.

So the "always_bcc" function is called when Postfix sends an email on to its final destination, it will also "always bcc" a copy to the configured bcc destination too.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information