Thread: [SOLVED] Admin Console not running (6.0.4 FOSS)

plutocrat is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] Admin Console not running (6.0.4 FOSS)

Hi all,

First of all, I should say this isn't the first installation of Zimbra I've completed - I've set up a couple of demos for clients before on versions 4.x and 5.x, and both of them worked fine (although the clients didn't bite). This is the first time I've looked at 6.x and I'm having problems getting the Admin Console up and running.

I did an initial install on a Centos 5.4 box. It had Apache installed on it, and the install script threw a 'port in use' message at me. So I quit out, shut down Apache and removed it from chkconfig, and then re-ran the install. I accepted all the defaults (ie not installing memcached and proxy).

After the install I was able to login to the webmail fine on http://zimbra.domain.com/. I tested the outbound and inbound email from the admin account and that worked.

I tried to login to the admin console on https://zimbra.domain.com:7071/ and was met with a Server not found.

I went to the command prompt and tried a 'zmcontrol status'. No problems there: everything is running.

I did a nmap localhost. Sure enough there was no port 7071 open, and no port 443 either. I couldn't login to email on https://zimbra.domain.com/ either

I searched around a bit and found the 'zmtlsctl' command. I ran 'zmtlsctl https' and restarted everything. Now I could login to email on https://zimbra.domain.com/. But still no Admin Console, and nmap still shows no port open on 7071.

So now I'm a bit stuck. I've looked in all the logs I can find in /var/log and /opt/zimbra/log. I've grepped over all the config files looking for 7071 and can't see anything obvious. I'm guessing its something to do with how apache and jetty work together, but I'm a bit lost there - last time I had to fiddle with this it was tomcat. Any ideas where I can look next?

Oh I forgot to mention. I tried rebooting the server. And I tried wiping out the existing install and re-installing - no mail to lose right now, so easy to do. Still the same ...

uxbod is offline Moderator

Also check the logs under /opt/zimbra/log. This normally occurs if your hosts file is not defined correctly.

Thanks. Yes I've been looking in those logs, but can't find any help. Any logs in particular? I've been looking for the one that jetty logs in. I've found the access log, but can't find an error log.

Meanwhile I've found the zmprov command and have tried setting the Admin port to a different value in case there was some kind of conflict. Then Restart. However nmap still reports no open port, and no errors of any kind in the logs.

I've also been searching /opt/zimbra/conf for clues on how its all put together. But no help in there either.

My hostname is properly defined in /etc/sysconfig/networks, and in /etc/hosts. The hostname command agrees with both.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Change it back to 7071 ... Shutdown ZCS and restart. If you would post the following it would be helpful
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain mx
    dig yourdomain any
    host `hostname` <- note backticks and not single quotes
    I presume you have disable SELinux and IPTables ?

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    I presume you have disable SELinux and IPTables ?
    Oh crap. Basic rookie mistake. I assumed IPtables was off, but it wasn't. Apparently I enabled it some time ago. And nmap wasn't showing up the port, because that's not a port nmap looks for. I should have done
    Code:
    nmap localhost -p 7071
    or
    netstat -an | grep 7071
    Have now allowed that port in Iptables, and all is working. Sorry to have wasted your time. Move along now, nothing to see.

Thread Information