Thread: [SOLVED] Spam settings persisting through upgrades (Z 6.0)?

kinux is offline Junior Member

Question [SOLVED] Spam settings persisting through upgrades (Z 6.0)?

I've been an administrator of a postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin setup for years so I'm very aware of how little spam is caught under a default install of these programs. I'm *assuming* that Zimbra, since it's based off of these core technologies, would have a similar dismal spam blocking ratio (no offense to Zimbra, I love the program). I'm looking at porting over my existing spamassassin config + razor2 + DCC + a few RBL's + whitelist/blacklist to a Zimbra installation. My only concern is the fact that several places (Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki & Upgrade to 4.5.9 still breaks spam databases for an older version) mention that upgrades have the potential of wiping out the custom spam fighting rules when updating, even from one minor version to the next. I would like to hear from users with a similar, customized spam system on the pitfalls, workarounds, and tips for making the Zimbra upgrade process easier and more manageable. Thanks in advance.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Create your own .cf under /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin and put local customisations into that ... I have switched to running a front-end MTA and left the backend ZCS vanilla (for a number of reasons) but I have added my own .cf for handling a shared MySQL Bayes connection and it works fine across upgrades.

kinux is offline Junior Member

That's GREAT news uxbod. Right now, my postfix handles the whitelist/blacklist and the RBL's (all defined in the postfix config file main.cf). But I could just as easily move all of my spam settings into SpamAssassin. I guess I'll just have to keep in mind one poster's comment from Upgrade to 4.5.9 still breaks spam databases
    Just make your new file come lexically after "local" and you can override any settings there.
    So if I make my .cf files start with any letter from m-z, I'll be golden. Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Information