Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation ERROR - Please fix your /etc/hosts file...

Labsy is offline Elite Member

Unhappy Installation ERROR - Please fix your /etc/hosts file...

Hi,

I have searched forums and Google, but I cannot find solution for my issue. Every time I try to run ZCS installation on brand new fresh CentOS computer, I get the same error:

Code:
    ERROR: Installation can not proceeed.  Please fix your /etc/hosts file
    to contain:

Where  is the ip address of the host,
     is the FULLY QUALIFIED host name, and
     is the (optional) hostname-only portion
    Now, I have tried /etc/hosts file with LAN IPs:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    10.1.1.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    OR with piblic IPs:
    Code:
    81.29.58.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    But nothing works

If I PING either "zimbra" either "zimbra.mydomain.com" I get this:
    Code:
    ping zimbra
    PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.056 ms
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.039 ms
    my resolv.conf is:
    Code:
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 10.1.1.1
    nameserver 81.29.56.100
    Any other idea?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I assume you have a Split DNS set-up? During your search of the forums you probably cam across several posts of mine that requested information to diagnose the problem. In case you missed it, here it is again: please post the output of the following commands (run on the Zimbra server):

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    host `hostname`  <-- use that exact command with backticks not single quotes
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Nope, I don't have Split DNS configured.

I was trying to install BIND on my CentOS, but it seems to be pain in the ass for a Linux newbie like me.
    So I rather configured my Cisco firewall to serve as local DNS and forced it to resolve "zimbra.mydomain.com" locally to local IP 10.1.1.126

Now dig zimbra.mydomain.com returns:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  0  IN  A  10.1.1.126
    And dig zimbra.mydomain.com mx returns:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  SOA  dnsServer.mydomain.com. soacontact.mydomain.com. 1107239823  14400 7200 950400 3600
    Command host zimbra (without backquotes, since I cannot type any character with ALT-key via remote)
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com has address 10.1.1.126
    resolv.conf
    Code:
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 10.1.1.1
    nameserver 81.29.56.200
    hosts file
    Code:
    10.1.1.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    But still the same error running .\install.sh

BTW...thanx for your reply and also please understand, that I type manually all copy-paste texts, since copy-paste is not working remotelly neither via VNC viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    Nope, I don't have Split DNS configured.

I was trying to install BIND on my CentOS, but it seems to be pain in the ass for a Linux newbie like me.
    So I rather configured my Cisco firewall to serve as local DNS and forced it to resolve "zimbra.mydomain.com" locally to local IP 10.1.1.126
    You really should install BIND on your LAN, if you have problems setting it up then use webmin to administer your server (it has a DNS config module).

Now dig zimbra.mydomain.com returns:
    This is incorrect, you need to use the domain name not the FQDN of your server - it should be 'dig mydomain.com'.

Command host zimbra (without backquotes, since I cannot type any character with ALT-key via remote)
    Code:
    I need to see that command with the backquotes for confirmation that it's working correctly.

You really do need to install BIND on this LAN for this to work correctly. Are you using VNC to access the desktop on this machine? If you are I'd suggest that NX is a better solution, check the CentOS wiki for details. Cant' you ssh into this server?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This is incorrect, you need to use the domain name not the FQDN of your server - it should be 'dig mydomain.com'.
    dig mydomain.com returns, as expected:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  xx.yy.zz.qq
    ...which is the public IP of "mydomain.com" web server on 1000 km distant location. Neither this server nor this IP has anything to do with Zimbra server. They are 1000 km apart, each on its own LAN, not connected in anyway.
    Only sub-domain A-record "zimbra.mydomain.com" is pointing to location2 in public DNS, while root domain "mydomain.com" is in location1.
    Might that be a catch?

host `hostname` (with backquotes) returns the same as without backquotes:
    Code:
    Regarding DNS inside this LAN:
    Did you mean that I need to setup BIND on exactly Zimbra server, or would it be sufficient just to have DNS server inside Location1 LAN network?
    There are 4 other servers in Location1, beside Zimbra server, including Cisco firewall, which is curently used as DNS forwarder with static DNS mapping for "zimbra.mydomain.com".

dig mydomain.com returns, as expected:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  xx.yy.zz.qq
    ...which is the public IP of "mydomain.com" web server on 1000 km distant location. Neither this server nor this IP has anything to do with Zimbra server. They are 1000 km apart, each on its own LAN, not connected in anyway.
    That's fine (and has nothing to do with your mail server) but you need to create valid DNS A & MX records for you mail server inside the LAN using the instructions in the SPlit DNS article.
    [B]Only sub-domain A-record "zimbra.mydomain.com" is pointing to location2 in public DNS, while root domain "mydomain.com" is in location1.
    Might that be a catch?
    Yes but you don't need a sub-domain, you need valid DNS A & MX records (for domain.com) on an external DNS server to point to the public IP of your firewall at your location - or are you telling me there's already a mail server running elsewhere?

[B]host `hostname` (with backquotes) returns the same as without backquotes:
    Code:
    OK, that's correct.

[B]Regarding DNS inside this LAN:
    Did you mean that I need to setup BIND on exactly Zimbra server, or would it be sufficient just to have DNS server inside Location1 LAN network?
    You can use any DNS server on your LAN, the Split DNS is only one example of how to set it up.
    [B]There are 4 other servers in Location1, beside Zimbra server, including Cisco firewall, which is curently used as DNS forwarder with static DNS mapping for "zimbra.mydomain.com".
    All you need is for your firewall (NAT router or whatever) to forward the correct ports to your LAN IP address, the DNS resolution is performed by a DNS server for 'domain.com'.
    Regards

Bill

Hmmm...

Thank you again for in-deep explanations. Regarding to all this new knowledge it seems better to distinguish between my existing "mydomain" setup on location2 and Zimbra installation on Location1.

Location2 is my own quite complex web hosting solution with even more complex AntiSpam and mail solution, consisting of:
    - 2 web servers, 2 *SQL servers
    - 1 local DNS and 3 geographically spread DNS servers
    - 1 local MAIL server and 6 redundant MAIL proxy filters with antispam and antivirus

Location 1 with ZIMBRA was meant to be new MAIL server, which would RECEIVE mail only from those 6 redundant MAIL PROXY servers.

All mail servers, existing and new ZIMBRA, are to host many different domains! So I gave ZIMBRA server host name by sub-domain of my primary domain.

So I assume it should work, if ZIMBRA locally would resolve ITSELF by A and MX record:
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  10.1.1.126
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  3600  IN  MX  10 zimbra.mydomain.com.
    But this would be only for installation issue, since REAL mail for "mydomain.com" will not be configured to travel to ZIMBRA server...at least not at the beginning (maybe later, when things prove to be stable)

So I assume it should work, if ZIMBRA locally would resolve ITSELF by A and MX record:
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  10.1.1.126
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  3600  IN  MX  10 zimbra.mydomain.com.
    But this would be only for installation issue, since REAL mail for "mydomain.com" will not be configured to travel to ZIMBRA server...at least not at the beginning (maybe later, when things prove to be stable)
    Yes, it will work but what you're using as the sub-domain is actually the FQDN of your Zimbra server.

I'd suggest you leave your DBS files to use the current sub-domain and change the hosts file (and the DNS records) to point to a new FQDN for your server with something like this:

Code:
    mail.zimbra.mydomain.com
    Uninstall Zimbra with './install.sh -u' (that will remove all of Zimbra including the /opt/zimbra directory) and I'm assuming you have nothing in there you wish to keep. When you've done that reinstall Zimbra and when you get to the question about 'Do you want to change the domain name' you answer yes, at this point you chnage the domain name to 'zimbra.mydomain.com' and continue with the install. That should give you a working Zimbra with a default domain of 'zimbra.mydomain.com', if you wish to send email from some other domain name then you can change the domain name via the command line or add another domain and set it as the default.

If that explanation is a clear as mud let me know what I've not explained clearly.
    Regards

Bill

Phoenix,
    you have been quite clear, but seems CentOS is still pain in the ass for me. Actually, BIND has been pain in the ass, which I finally managed to install and to resolve names just inside ZIMBRA server...but still no luck

Which is why I switched to Ubuntu 9.10 server edition...
    ...and had some digestion problems here, too, since I overlooked Zimbra editions - for Ubuntu 8.04 only.
    Ok, reinstalled with Ubuntu Server 8.04, with default settings, just 2 libraries to add...and Voila! Zimbra is up'n'running in no time

thank you for help anyways...hope it helps somebody else.

...and YES, it is very inmportant to have properly setup all A and MX records!

For those who do not want to setup SplitDNS in Zimbra server with BIND:
    you need really good DNS host, or have your own DNS servers, which will enable you to properly setup back and forth resolving:

zimbra.yourdomain.com --> must resolve inside LAN to --> zimbra's LAN IP
    zimbra.yourdomain.com --> must have also MX record

So both A and MX records are important.
    Without MX record you get LDAP error.

Thanx Phoenix again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information