Thread: [SOLVED] Test ZCS Install routing to Live Install

alapierre is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] Test ZCS Install routing to Live Install

I've installed a test server on my network to exercise my backup/restore procedures. My test server is testmail.domain.com, and my live server is mail.domain.com. I'm able to access the login page from the test server by browsing to testmail.domain.com (I can't get to it from other computers though) when I log in, it says "Requesting testmail.domain.com" then it says "Requesting mail.domain.com" and immediately loads up my live server. Is there a setting somewhere that I didn't change in the config? The files were copied over from my live install and the config edited to reflect the new Hostname. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by alapierre; 10-29-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Any ideas? Is there more info I can give to help troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance

uxbod is offline Moderator

How did you edit the config ? zmsetservername is what normally would be used; but you have to down your live system first otherwise it may change that!

I used the zmlocalconfig -e command to change any settings I could see that reflected my live server. I just issued the zmsetservername command, it initialized ldap, added a new entry "cn=testmail,cn=servers,cn=zimbra", reinitialized the mta config and the snmp config. I started the server back up and it still sends me to my live server after I click "Login".

Ok, here's something interesting. I found the file /opt/zimbra/cyrus-sasl.../etc/saslauthd.conf had an entry for my old hostname to the admin page. I fixed that and successfully logged into the testmail admin page. In the admin menu under Server, it lists both mail.domain.com (Live server) and testmail.domain.com (Test server) I look at all the accounts, and they all say "Mail Server: mail.domain.com" That is probably why when I login, it redirects to my production server. I checked my ldap dump, and it is riddled with my live server name. A ton of settings in ldap are still set to mail.domain.com. What's the best way to update that?

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

What I typically do is install dnsmasq and have your test server lie to itself and your test clients about the IP address of mail.domain.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    What I typically do is install dnsmasq and have your test server lie to itself and your test clients about the IP address of mail.domain.com.
    That's a good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks Rich.

It was even simpler than that...not sure why I didn't think of this before. Since it was just the server I needed to work, I just set my /etc/hosts file to point mail.domain.com to my internal IP address. Everything worked great! Thanks for your help.

Thread Information