Thread: [SOLVED] Restore on disaster recovery fails

deltatango is offline Active Member

Default [SOLVED] Restore on disaster recovery fails

Hi folks, I still struggle with a planned server move (Mac OS 10.4, Zimbra Network Edition 6.0.1), particularly with filling the server with data from a backup.

I follow Backup and Restore and after "zmrestoreldap -lb " I run into problems. Once I restored the LDAP data an "zmcontrol status" gives:

"Unable to determine enabled services from ldap. Enabled services read from cache. Service list may be inaccurate."

Which I consider an error. And when I then try to do a zmrestoreoffline, mailbox.log shows this:
    "2009-10-19 10:35:27,849 FATAL [main] [] system - Config initialization failed
    com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: system failure: unable to lookup server by name: mail.proximic.com message: [LDAP: error code 49 - Invalid Credentials]"

Which for me looks like the LDAP password did change during the previous commands.

So how do I change the LDAP credentials to something that works?

And why does the problem occur at all?

And the documentation tells I should have the same passwords on the new server as they are on the old one. If that's the culprit, how do I get the old server's LDAP credentials?

Can I use zmldappasswd to change it?

Now I changed the ldap passwd via "zmldappasswd" (all kinds of passwords, from -a to -r) to no avail. When issuing "zmcontrol start", I still geht the error message:
    "Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.
    Unable to determine enabled services. Cache is out of date or doesn't exist."

So what is "zmldappasswd" really for?

iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

hosts file and DNS set correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by iway View Post
    hosts file and DNS set correctly?
    Yes, while I was already sure it was the same on the old (still in production) server and the new one, but I just checked again - just in case.

Now the data import works (appears to work). You have indeed to sync half a dozen passwords by hand before you are able to successfully restore you data.
    Not to mention manually resetting the database with the peculiarity under Mac OS X with more than 5GB RAM (you have to issue "/opt/local/libexex/zmmyinit --mysql_memory_percent 10" or something).

Still the documentation could be somewhat more precise here, as normally whan you need a desaster recovery you need it ASAP. I will see whether I can contribute something in this regard in the Wiki.

While the Admin manual coming with the Zimbra download only lacks some minor bit of explanation regarding the LDAP password sync, the online docs: Backup and Restore are missing the part of password sync entirely.
    Last edited by deltatango; 10-19-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Thread Information