Thread: accept domain mail at zimbra hostname

CruzMark is offline New Member

Default accept domain mail at zimbra hostname

I've spent the last hour digging through the forums and haven't gotten anywhere, probably because I'm searching on the wrong terms, so I decided to just be a newbie and ask directly in the forum.

Here's my setup. Please note that all servers are on public IPs, so there's no NAT going on here.

I have a domain setup on a Plesk server, which has been handling all domain services, including dns, mail, web, etc. Let's say that the IP for the domain, including the mx record, the domain name, etc is 192.168.1.10 (note, it is ACTUALLY on a public IP).

Now, I want to setup Zimbra as the mail server for the domain, but I want to keep all other services, including the primary domain.com name at 192.168.1.10.

I point zimbra.domain.com at the new IP (call it 192.168.5.10) in dns.

Since I can't seem to install zimbra without an mx record, I also setup the mx record for zimbra.domain.com to point to zimbra.domain.com.

Installation works fine.

I setup user accounts under the zimbra.domain.com hostname.

I go back to my plesk server and point the primary MX record for domain.com to zimbra.domain.com.

I can send email to username@zimbra.domain.com, but I cannot send email to username@domain.com.

What am I missing?

Thanks for answering my lame question.

Mark

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

It sounds like their is either a firewall issue, or a mx lookup issue. Check out MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox.

You need to set the mx record for domain.com to be zimbra.domain.com.

Once that is done, validate that mxtoolbox.com is pointing the mx at zimbra.domain.com. If it isn't you still have a mx problem. If it is, and you are not seeing email, try
    telnet zimbra.mailbox.com 25

If you don't get a response, either Zimbra is not running or misconfigured, or more likely you have a firewall issue.

No, there's nothing wrong with my dns. Zimbra is replying. I can see email being rejected with "service unavailable" by the zimbra server if I send to username@domain.com, but not if I send to username@zimbra.domain.com.

The sending mail server is attempting to connect to the zimbra server, but is being rejected.

I tried adding a domain "domain.com" in Zimbra and adding the accounts to that, and that actually seems to work. I can send mail to that domain, then. However, then other things such as documents end up with URLs that don't work, since domain.com is hosted somewhere else.

Thanks for your help.

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CruzMark View Post
    No, there's nothing wrong with my dns. Zimbra is replying. I can see email being rejected with "service unavailable" by the zimbra server if I send to username@domain.com, but not if I send to username@zimbra.domain.com.

The sending mail server is attempting to connect to the zimbra server, but is being rejected.

I tried adding a domain "domain.com" in Zimbra and adding the accounts to that, and that actually seems to work. I can send mail to that domain, then. However, then other things such as documents end up with URLs that don't work, since domain.com is hosted somewhere else.

Thanks for your help.
    We might be talking past each other, but I am not sure you understand how mx works. The MX for the domain should be set to route all mail to zimbra.domain.com (unless you want @domain.com traffic to go elsewhere). Then in Zimbra, you should create a domain domain.com, with users on it. The MX record routes the mail so that @domain.com traffic works, but everything else uses the existing plesk based server.

Does that make sense?

When you do the zimbra install, you should set the servername to be zimbra.domain.com. Create the domain.com domain later in Zimbra. That way they are completly independent, and you don't have url screw ups.

Again, my apologies if I just don't get it.

No, that's the exact information I needed, though it seems a little non-intuitive to create a domain within the Zimbra server whose name doesn't actually resolve to said server.

When I create the domain, I can successfully send mail to other boxes on it, as you say.

However, I am seeing another issue, which I suppose might be a bug, or possibly a setting I'm missing. If I log into Zimbra as a user and create a spreadsheet, for example, and save it, the link within Zimbra points to domain.com/path/to/spreadsheet, rather than zimbra.domain.com/path/to/spreadsheet. This causes 404 errors when you try to click to get back into said document.

Any ideas on this one?

And thanks for your help already.

Mark

Okay, I figured out my last question. I had to set the Public Service hostname on domain.com to zimbra.domain.com. All is well, thanks for the help.

Thread Information