Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra with a mail gateway

DiGiWoLf is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra with a mail gateway

Hi i've installed perfectly zimbra on my server but i've a question to make, i don't know if zimbra will work 'cause im using a mail gateway i don't have my own mail domain and i don't know if zimbra can do a domain pop

Thanks

Krishopper is offline Dedicated Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you provide an example of what you are trying to accomplish?

y@w
    y@w is offline Moderator

Mail gateway as in outbound mail has to be relayed through another mail server? There's a few docs in the wiki for that.

Mail gateway as in delivers to a separate mail server and you want to pull mail down from that server? You could just have that mail server forward mail destined for your users. Or, you could have the server pull down mail for each user via POP or IMAP, but I'd have to be pretty desperate before doing that..

Default explanation

Iīm using Mdaemon email server for windows īcause like i say i donīt have my own domain so i deliver my email to de primary server and it routes to outside and the protocol in Mdaemon is POP3 to recive mail and send by SMTP, in the Zimbra configuration i saw an external MTA but i donīt know if it match with windows MTA

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiWoLf View Post
    Iīm using Mdaemon email server for windows īcause like i say i donīt have my own domain so i deliver my email to de primary server and it routes to outside and the protocol in Mdaemon is POP3 to recive mail and send by SMTP, in the Zimbra configuration i saw an external MTA but i donīt know if it match with windows MTA
    Why don't you replace MDaemon with a Zimbra server, what's the point in having two mail servers? You don't actually need to relay through another server, Zimbra will deliver via SMTP.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default explanation

i wat raplace mdaemon īcause it hangs periodically but i donīt know if zimbra does the same like mdaemon

Default question

zimbra recives email by POP3???????? i know it send in smtp but my problem is to recive

i wat raplace mdaemon īcause it hangs periodically but i donīt know if zimbra does the same like mdaemon
    Yes, it does only better (but I would say that). If you're fetching mail from an external (ISP) account then use fetchmail (search the forums for details) to get the email and drop it in the users accounts. You might eventually want to consider getting yourself a domain name, it will save you having to depend on your current mailbox for mail and if you use a hosted DNS service you'd also have a mail server backup if yours is offline.
    Regards

Bill

Default Using ISP

I canīt have my own email domain iīm using a PPP conection actually, iīm having a lot of problems by this my company is not allowed to have any other type of conection my email primary server uses Mdaemon like me īcause of this iīve a lot of questions to make

Grettings

I canīt have my own email domain iīm using a PPP conection actually, iīm having a lot of problems by this my company is not allowed to have any other type of conection my email primary server uses Mdaemon like me īcause of this iīve a lot of questions to make
    OK, but you can still send mail directly or relay through your ISPs mail server (which will save you from getting blacklisted). So the answer is still, yes it will do what you need. Have a look through the forums, there are a few threads from people in the same position as you but if you have further questions then ask away.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information