Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZCS 6.0 - zmlogger service using very high CPU

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mackoftrack View Post
    Is it safe to just disable zmlogger?
    Yes, of course it is.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

uxbod is offline Moderator

For a Perl script it does seem very hungry. As it is crunching a lot of files and inserting into a DB could the high CPU be caused by IO blocking?

FritzBrause is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    For a Perl script it does seem very hungry. As it is crunching a lot of files and inserting into a DB could the high CPU be caused by IO blocking?
    I didn't have the time yet to prove my assumption, but one reason may
    be that sqlite is NOT running with async io enabled - e.g. like the common PHP
    Configuration - this may be a reason for high load caused by blocking io.

Also logwatch / syslog is adding a great deal of blocking io.

Regards

Andreas

lars_BE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FritzBrause View Post
    Same issue here: We upgraded from 5.018 NE

...CUT A PART HERE...

I manually disabled the restart command:

Code:
    # su - zimbra -c "/opt/zimbra/bin/zmlogswatchctl restart" > /dev/null 2>&1
    For now we live without the logger Service and btw without any Graphs - but this is beeing discussed in another thread already.

I hope this will be cleaned up together with the other zmlogger issues as soon as possible because this is not an improvement over 5.x at all.

Any recommendations how to fix this high CPU usage are very welcome.

Regards

Andreas
    thanks Andreas, after disabling zmlogger i'm having much less CPU usages but not yet at the same level as before 6.0.0. I came from 5.0.18.

greetings Lars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

preem is offline Active Member

I disabled the logger service as well, rather that than unresponsive server. I can't seem to find the bug report about this, i think i remember seeing it being fixed in 6.0.2, can anyone confirm this?

edit:

seems this is the bug report i couldn't remember Bug 40861 – zmstat-allprocs stops running on 6.0 if it's related at all. i'm having both problems. Status is RESOLVED, so thats why i figured.

regards
    Last edited by preem; 10-01-2009 at 01:29 AM.

gruad23 is offline Senior Member

Default vmware and ZCS 6.01 : high load, high cpu

After upgrading from 5.0.14 to 6.0.1 my load / cpu doubled immediately and responsivness went down.

I run zimbra on a ubuntu 8.04-64 as single-cpu vmware-guest on a quad-cpu vmware-server-host.

I disabled zmlogger and zmswatchctl as recommended and it "feels" much better now and watching top brings down the cpu used by the java-processes and my logs dont fill with strange messages any more.

But cpu/load is still way to high and zimbra still feels much slower then it was with 5.0.14. And you can see in my cpu/load-monitors that disabling zmlogger only drops a bit of the load which upgrading added a lot !!

I tried to figure out where the cpu goes and what drains the load which is very difficult, cause I'm not a zimbra-developer and not top-skilled-linux-expert, but some things seems strange so I would by now support the theory that its something between zimbra and vmware server. Most of the high-cpu-complains in google are on vmware-machines.

I really hope the zimbra-developers will adress this problem in 6.0.2.

Is there actually a way to migrate back to 5.0.14. I have a complete backup of my old data before migration, but new users, new mails since then

I would actually like to submit a bug-report about this, but I dont dare to post in the developers-forum .... but it really seems that quite a lot of people have this problem and that even the rude solution of disabling zmlogger and zmswatchctl does not solve the problem entirely. seems there is something deeper in the code that make ZCS6.0.x running out of breath in virtual environments (I found similar problem-reports with XEN and if I found any time I would give it a try on VirtualBox)

thnx for any further reports and insights
    peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

rosenbj is offline Junior Member

Here was the original bug report: Bug 40836 – zmlogger cpu spike in main branch.

It is marked resolved. This resolution was post ZCS 6.01 so I assume that it will be out in 6.02. Interesting that the bug is marked resolved before the code is GA.

From the resolution:
    Affected files ...

... //depot/main/ZimbraBuild/lib/Zimbra/Mon/LoggerSchema.pm#8 edit
    ... //depot/main/ZimbraServer/src/libexec/zmlogger#37 edit

dennisj is offline New Member

When is 6.0.2 going to be released? I'm currently evaluating ZCS as a replacement for an Exchange based setup but after installing 6.0.1 on a fresh centos 5 instance i was shocked to see that an idle default ZCS setup basically consumes most of the servers resources. When a live in production Exchange setup only consumes a small fraction of the resources that an idle freshly installed ZCS instance does I cannot recommend this for actual production use.

I reinstalled 6.0.1 from scratch and chose not to install the logger and snmp components.
    Right now the major culprit seems to be the "clamscanner" the seems to get started in regular intervals and consumes 100% cpu for some time. Given that this is a default install with no accounts created yet i wonder what kind of complex work exactly it is doing.
    I tried disabling the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus services in the servers services configuration but even after a reboot the clamscanner is still active.
    How can I disable it?

Scratch that. I was misreading the command line of the process. The actual culprit looks like this:

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java -XX:ErrorFile=/opt/zimbra/log -client -Xmx256m -Dzimbra.home=/opt/zimbra -Djava.library.path=/opt/zimbra/lib -Djava.ext.dirs=/opt/zimbra/java/jre/lib/ext:/opt/zimbra/lib/jars:/opt/zimbra/lib/ext-common:/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/clamscanner com.zimbra.common.util.ConsoleRunner com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil -l gs zimbra.localdomain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information