According to Zimbra Product Portal, the version 6.0 GunsNRoses will be officially launched on August 31, 2009 (but it seems have a delay). It would be an interesting stuff to test it on openSUSE 11.1, even as of version 6.0, openSUSE didn’t officially supported by Zimbra and only SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 supported by default, both for x86 and 64 bit.

I know, it's not recommended to used unsupported distro, but I used openSUSE at work and at home, so, testing Zimbra is part of my job.

After a few trial and error, I could make Zimbra 5.0.X and Zimbra 6.0 RC1 running well on openSUSE 11.1. Below is some notes for anyone who needs to running Zimbra 6.0 RC1 (and hopefully version 6.0) on openSUSE 11.1 :

• Used binary package for SLES 10. It's work with openSUSE.
  • modify /etc/hosts. In previous version (10.2 and 10.3), it's OK to have /etc/hosts like below :
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
    ::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0         ipv6-localnet

ff00::0         ipv6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1         ipv6-allnodes
    ff02::2         ipv6-allrouters
    ff02::3         ipv6-allhosts
    127.0.0.2       mail.vavai.co.id mail
    But for RC1, I would recommend to remove the IPv6 entry (if you haven't used it already) and change the 127.0.0.2 entry into your IP Address, an example as below :

Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    192.168.0.2      mail.vavai.co.id mail

To simplify installation & configuration, I've made the configuration script. Overall installation would be like below

1. Install openSUSE 11.1
  2. Download the install script for Zimbra 6.0 RC1. Copy into /opt and untar so there a new folder /opt/zimbra-auto
  3. Download binary installer for SLES. Copy into /opt/zimbra-auto
  4. Open terminal, and run the installation script :
    Code:
    su
    cd /opt/zimbra-auto
    sh setup-en.sh

Beside an installation script, I include the DNS auto configuration so DNS setting should be not an issue.

Blog Entry :
Zimbra 6.0 RC1 on openSUSE 11.1