Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Use Zimbra UI -only- for mailing

  1. #1
    vargadanis is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Use Zimbra UI -only- for mailing

    Hello everyone!

    I have got an interesting question for you peeps. I am not an expert on zimbra or system administration but I thought it's worth a question/post.
    So I was wondering if it is at all possible to use Zimbra's superior user interface to access email accounts remotely. I think I saw an option to add imap/pop3 connections to an account but is it at all possible to install/use only the user interface of the Zimbra project and let some other MTA handle the emails?

    So what I am actually seeking is the option to be able to install zimbra on a dedicated server and use the already existing mailing infrastructure with say tens of thousands email accounts w/o the need to migrate to Zimbra but give the users the option to use Zimbra's mailing interface intead of the oldschool Squirrelmail/Horde/Roundcube webmail clients.

    I know it hurts a bit to degrade Zimbra to only webmail client but ehh, again this is just a question.

    Regards
    ZCS: none ^_^ (as of now)
    System: Debian Lenny 2.6.27-vserver-2.3.0.36

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,491
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vargadanis View Post
    I have got an interesting question for you peeps. I am not an expert on zimbra or system administration but I thought it's worth a question/post.
    So I was wondering if it is at all possible to use Zimbra's superior user interface to access email accounts remotely. I think I saw an option to add imap/pop3 connections to an account but is it at all possible to install/use only the user interface of the Zimbra project and let some other MTA handle the emails
    This has been asked and answered many times in the forums. The answer is no, it's not possible. Zimbra is a complete Collaboration Suite and must be installed as such, the Web UI is an interface written specifically for Zimbra and it's components.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    vargadanis is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This has been asked and answered many times in the forums. The answer is no, it's not possible. Zimbra is a complete Collaboration Suite and must be installed as such, the Web UI is an interface written specifically for Zimbra and it's components.
    Ohh... Sorry to bother the community again with this question... Thank you for your answer tho. You can mark this thread locked or whatever now I'll look for those topics and see what I can learn from them.

    Regards...
    ZCS: none ^_^ (as of now)
    System: Debian Lenny 2.6.27-vserver-2.3.0.36

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,491
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vargadanis View Post
    Ohh... Sorry to bother the community again with this question...
    It's no bother and there's no problem in asking the question, for some strange reason there seem to have been about five of these questions in the past couple of weeks.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    vargadanis is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Strange I wonder why tho... And I think I as well have the answer. Cause the folks out there are fed up with the 3rd class crappy, unusable, outdated solutions and they want to have something... better. Something that is closer to the needs of real world and not something that is just available.
    ZCS: none ^_^ (as of now)
    System: Debian Lenny 2.6.27-vserver-2.3.0.36

  6. #6
    X-Dimension is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I think Zimbra has a great web-interface that is often better than Outlook or Thunderbird. Because it is webbased a company can use the Zimbra UI also for external employees and administrators don't need to install a mail software on hundrets of clients.
    But many companies like us have an external mail provider, so there is no need to install another mail server because it only costs extra time for administration.
    I think that's why some people find it useful to have only the webbased Zimbra client without all the mta stuff behind it.
    Last edited by X-Dimension; 08-15-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 02:20 AM
  2. slapd message error
    By smoke in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM
  3. admin consol blank after 5.0.3 upgarde
    By maumar in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 05:16 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
  5. Zimbra shutdowns every n hours.
    By Andrewb in forum Administrators
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •